Rule No. 1

MFMGMGMHNHMHNHMH YEEEESSSSSS I LOVE THIS author144

His name was Markiplier.
That's how everyone knew him, it was the codename that he went by, and the alias given to him upon being around the rest of the group at work. His boss called him this, his friends, hell, every now and again it was how he referred to himself. Markiplier was a hero, Markiplier was strong, Markiplier was smart, and Markiplier followed all of the rules. As an assassin, it was very important that Markiplier obeyed each rule with expert precision, otherwise missions could go haywire quickly. He learned the ropes of the trade, how to kill efficiently and have the job done before midnight so he could head back home unnoticed.
Back at home, when he was alone, he was just Mark. Just Mark also had some friends that he went out with as well, some normal people, and they didn't know about Mark's secrets back at work. Mark was very skilled at keeping quiet, and he only had two rules to follow outside of work: don't tell anyone what you do for a living, and don't fall in love. This was simple enough, as his friends were convinced that he was a doctor with a hatred for nurses, something that he could easily live up to. Back at work, his boss made sure that it looked like Mark really worked at a hospital. However, the falling in love part was not something that he could handle very well. See, just Mark was not very good at keep rules.
Mark had great friends. They were Bob, Wade, and Jack. Jack was very close to Mark, and they talked often, going home to the other's place to hang out, eat dinner, and play video games. Jack never understood why Mark never opted to stay over, or why he looked so tired in the morning, but he also never asked, respecting Mark's privacy as his own. Despite their closeness and how well they got along, Mark tried his hardest to keep his distance but fell quite hard for Jack in the end. Of course, this only happened to make things worse, as Mark had picked an Irishman that his own boss had his sights on.
"New target, tonight, Markiplier. Goes by the online name of Jacksepticeye, he's a notorious hacker, and we can't let him continue his work. He's working with the government to shut us down. He's already obtained too much information. Go." Markiplier knew just what to do. It hadn't crossed his mind as he suited up with various weapons ranging from guns to knives that the Jack his boss was referring to had been the same Jack he had cancelled dinner plans with once again earlier that evening.
Markiplier arrived upon an apartment building, and at its familiarity, he pulled out the file for his target finally, looking it over and recognizing the address all but too well. A sinking feeling his Markiplier, as he instead crawled up to peer through the window. Sure enough, the man he had swimming in his thoughts all the time was sitting at a desk, typing at speeds quick enough to make Markiplier's head spin even more. Markiplier ducked back down out of sight, wondering how many of the nights he had to cancel Jack had spent sitting in front of his computer, leading Markiplier closer to his demise. Markiplier only had one choice.
As he made his way to the front door, he remembered the very first rule that he was taught upon basically selling his life to the men he worked for. The infamous 'Rule No. 1:' allowing personal affairs to interfere with work was strictly forbidden. If he couldn't kill Jack, they would kill him as soon as he entered the building back to his boss. Yet, and yet, as Markiplier broke open the door, setting off an alarm, and whipped around a corner with a gun up to face Jack who also had a gun up, he nearly cried as the rule was burned into his brain.
"Mark?" Jack asked, stepping back and surprise and lowering his gun. This meant he wasn't going to shoot Mark, who so desperately wanted to lower his own gun but knew that he couldn't. "Mark, what are you doing here?"
"You're trying to expose my people, I-.. I can't let you live, Jack." Markiplier's voice trailed off, and he cut back a sob with all that he could. Jack stood, looking more dumbfounded than anything else, before shaking his head and bringing his thoughts back to the present. He stepped closer, and as tense as Markiplier suddenly became, he knew that he couldn't shoot Jack, even as the Irishman was close enough to rest his hand on Markiplier's shoulder.
"Mark, I would stop but they'd kill me." Markiplier flinched once again at his normal name, and also at the fact that Jack didn't question his motives. Instead, he wanted to help. Markiplier kept his gun raised at Jack, but even Jack could see that he wasn't going to shoot him, and slowly helped lower its aim into the carpet of Jack's apartment. "Mark, let's go."
"What?" Markiplier hissed, angry that such a thought would be brought up. Run away? Impossible, Markiplier broke no rules, he was always in line, and he never failed to carry out a mission. He had a perfect track record. Yet, Jack had not called him Markiplier, he had called him Mark.
"Mark, let's go." Jack whispered, resting a hand on Mark's forearm now, staring at him with pleading blue eyes. "I'd rather risk death than lose you." He reached out a hand to stroke Mark's cheek, who only stared behind pondering brown eyes. This would break every rule that had been forced into him, every rule he had been told not to break. Every rule that he had abided by for 12 years, and he would just throw it away for one person? Yet, Mark slowly realized, these were the thoughts of Markiplier. Not the thoughts of Mark.
Mark wanted to run away. Mark wanted to say forget about the rules, Mark wanted to lower the gun and leave it behind as a little surprise for his boss when he realized the next morning that no one had died like they were supposed to. Mark was rebellious, and Mark had his own personality, wants, and needs. And for once in the life of Markiplier, he put 'Mark' before he put 'Markiplier.' The gun went down, and despite the tears and all of his knowledge screaming at him to shoot Jack, Mark nodded.
"Let's get somewhere far away from here." he agreed quietly, and Jack, with a sigh of relief and a smile, rushed forward to kiss Mark very briefly before turning to pack his things. This was breaking every rule that Mark had ever known, but as his eyes met the bright and hopeful ones of Jack, he decided that he had better options than the rules, and the one he would leave behind the most would be the now dreaded Rule No. 1.