Beach Day

Hey, guys! Prepare for a super long chapter written by author144! They will now be the co-author of this book, which is AMAZING! I'll announce at the top the chapters they write, so I hope you guys enjoy this :3

Jack had not always been afraid of the water. Rather, he used to enjoy swimming, the feeling of the cool water against his skin and the smell of the ocean. The sound of the waves lapping against the beach before being sent back to the deeper waters with white foam cradling the crests. Now, it all seemed a bit too terrifying.
The waves only reminded him of the ones that had tugged at his best friend's legs. The splashing reminded him of flailing arms in the air as he was sent to the bottom. The blue reflected Jack's own gaze as he watched, frozen in horror with the cold of the ocean as his friend was ripped from the shoreline and swept outwards. Jack had never swam so hard before in his life, ever. He'd never dived deeper than that day, never worked so hard for a single goal in his life. Even after all his efforts, if he'd just been faster...
"Jack? Isn't this beach just wonderful?" Mark's voice cut his thoughts. The man was standing tall next to him, his chest puffed out as he surveyed the water. His hair was blown back by the wind, and he pulled a pair of towels from the back of the vehicle that Jack was clinging to. He hadn't told Mark of this fear yet, and honestly it seemed kind of childish to him.
"Just get over yourself." Jack muttered a few times under his breath, sighing and trying to put his mind at ease. His brain seemed to feign being calm, for the moment that his foot had hit the sand, sunk into the finely grained earth, his heart began racing more than usual. The sand weaved its way into his shoes as though reminding him of what had happened so many years ago. Every step filled him with despair, and he began hyperventilating. "I can't do this!"
"Jack, let's go this way!" Mark exclaimed, and when his hand wrapped around Jack's, fingers intertwining and sharing warmth, relief filled Jack from head to toe. It was as if the sun itself had descended from the sky and kissed him lightly on the head, reminding him that he was on the beach still, and with the man at his side, he shouldn't worry. Jack glanced over at the dark-haired man next to him; he sure was one hell of a miracle. Mark caught his stare and winked at him. "Aw, Jack, are you checking me out?" Jack blushed, realized indeed that Mark wasn't wearing a shirt, and had his hair drawn back in the nicest way; he couldn't help his wandering gaze. "Oh, now you're checking me out." Jack tipped his head back and laughed, gaining the attention of the people around him.
"Let's go sit over there," he pointed, and Mark led the way to where he had pointed, setting out two towels and sitting on one, patting the other as a motion for Jack, who hesitated. At least we won't be in the water.
The pair had a rather fun time just enjoying the sand and sitting, welcoming the sun and speaking of the way the water sparkled with its rays. Mark's smile was the only thing that rooted Jack to the beach, kept his sanity snared in his hand. The man seemed to sense Jack's discomfort, and played gently with his hand, massaging circles into it. He grinned, and then pointed down the sand.
"Would you like to build a sand castle with me?" the way he asked the question, his voice soft and polite, gentle; alluring. Jack realised that his off behavior was keeping Mark here, holding him back from the fun, happy-go-lucky child inside that wanted to dig holes and start water fights. Despite his immense fear, Jack swallowed and nodded with a grin that came easily around Mark. The light that shone in Mark's eyes put the Irishman even more at ease, and he stood with Mark, put their things away, and headed further towards the ocean.
They sat down, Mark with a bucket, and began working. Mark had a whole plan, and described it in full detail to Jack, waving his hands in the air and drawing the picture of it in the sky. Something about Mark inspired Jack, and so he forgot about the lapping waves nearby that sounded hellish to him, and he forgot about all the memories that were haunting him. Rather they worked, side by side, building a moat and starting with smaller towers that slowly crowded, growing in size, a much larger tower that stood above all else; a little white flag at the top. Jack continued with supporting the sides by adding more damp sand, and Mark scratched his head as he noticed a side falling apart.
"I'm going to get more water," he stated, and Jack merely nodded, too intently focused on creating small windows and doorways that led to stairs. He hadn't had so much fun at a beach in a long time. He always avoided these places, and canoeing trips, and other things like that. He was so scared that he would let another person down, or he himself would fall to the ocean floor, prisoner to its depths. All of this had been relinquished because of Mark... Mark. Where had he gone?
The familiar shout for help that was cut off made Jack relive all his prior fear.
He whipped around, looking out into the waters as the rip current that had somehow made its way to the beach at the exact moment that Mark was fetching water dragged the said man out to sea. Many other people were standing up, watching as it happened, and only a single person ran to get a lifeguard that was some ways down the beach. Jack was frozen to the spot, looking on in horror.
That lifeguard will never make it in time.
Despite the fear the clutched at Jacks' legs, despite his heart pumping faster than it should, despite the terror that rooted his feet into the ground, he kicked off his sandals, raced into the water, and dove. The cold washed over him, threatening to sink him. The waves moved his body around, arms and limbs flailing; he hadn't gone swimming for ages. Yet the thought of Mark drowning kick started every memory that he had, and his body moved all on its own.
Jack swam against the sea, against the rip current, and to the spot that Mark had just been sucked under. He took a large breath and dove down, his eyes closed against the stinging water, his heart thumping against his chest rapidly, the fear causing his breath to seem to dissipate faster. His chest felt like collapsing, and it felt as though everything was working together to squish him into nothingness.
Then his hand wrapped around a rather muscular figure.
Jack, gripping him roughly, and swam up forcefully. He fought the current, he fought the fear weighing him down. He fought against the rip currents, he fought against his lack of air, he fought against gravity to drag Mark onto shore and cursed the man for being so muscular and weighing as much as he did. He pushed the throng of people standing around and watching back and threw himself onto Mark, listening on his chest for a heartbeat.
He couldn't hear one.
Instead of giving up, Jack began CPR. He ignored the whispers from the bystanders as he pressed his mouth to Mark's, feeling warmth and tasting salt as he forced oxygen into his lungs, plugging his nose. He pounded on his chest, listening and waiting for a response. He wasn't too late. He wasn't too late. He wasn't too late!
Mark suddenly sat up, coughing and sputtering, spitting water all over the place and squinting around. Jack handed him his glasses which he had removed, and then waved everyone else away. Mark let Jack lead him back to their car, and set him down in the back. He sat there, shivering, as Jack brought a blanket and gave it to him.
"Well, today took an unexpected turn." Mark noted, and Jack could only nod, inwardly smiling. It was possible to conquer fears, but if he was honest, he never conquered it at all. It wasn't him who removed his fear, it wasn't him who had forced his scared self into the waves, and it wasn't him who had recalled the memory of how to swim spontaneously. It was Mark. That man, who had given nothing but love to Jack, had really saved him in the end. He glanced over at Mark who was licking his lips, and Mark met his gaze with a narrowed, suspicious one. "You kissed me, didn't you?" Jack laughed once more.
"Let's get you home, Markimoo."