Hero

If you aren't following her already, please do! These chapters written by her are literally the best, so thank you so much author144 for being so amazing!

"Honestly, I'm really, truly afraid of fire." Mark said, a sheepish grin on his face. "I lost a few friends in a fire once, and it just-.. It scares the hell out of me." Jack watched, sympathy filling him. He, Yami, Bob, Wade, and Mark sat in a huge circle in the hotel room that Mark had gotten for PAX that year. They had gotten maybe a bit too drunk, but no one planned on leaving until the next morning anyway, so Mark happily shared his alcohol. Jack refused any in case someone had to drive, but watched his friends and laughed with the rest of them. Now they were sharing things they'd never told anyone, and Mark looked on the verge of tears.
"Mark, it's okay." Bob said, leaning forward from his chair to rub the man's back; Jack stiffened. "Fire is a perfectly reasonable fear to have, its terrifying. Besides, we'll take care of you if some idiot decides to set the building on fire." Bob and the rest of the gang broke off into laughter at this thought and Mark, only because he was drunk as hell, joined them. Jack smiled, giggling with everyone else but watching Mark specifically, who faltered and looked away.
"I say we hit the hay!" Mark announced, clapping his hands together and standing. "You all can sleep wherever, but I am tired and have dibs on my bed." The gang agreed reluctantly, and as the dispersed, Jack caught hold of Mark's elbow, pulling him aside into the kitchen.
"Mark," he began, looking into the drunken man's eyes who suddenly looked very sober standing in front of him. "Nothing is going to happen, so don't worry, okay? If anything does happen, I'll be there to help you out. Just get some sleep." Mark looked at Jack with a grave expression, and turned to go to bed. Jack wandered off, but heard Mark's voice beckon him.
"Just don't do anything stupid, okay?" Mark said, pointing at him. "Besides, nothing is going to happen, right?" Jack nodded, and Mark nodded back, stumbling off to his bed. Jack blinked, and then went to his own pile of blankets that he'd claimed on the floor.
Their entire conversation was simply foreshadowing the future.
...
The alarm sounded louder than it should have, or maybe it was just because Jack was tired. Alarm clocks really were annoying. Then, his eyes opened and he shot up into a sitting position. It was an alarm, but a much different kind. The smell of smoke was imminent, and so was the fact that all of Jack's drunk friends were still passed out, sleeping right through it.
"Hey!" he shouted, attacking the closest person to him and shaking him awake. Yami's eyes opened, and he squinted at Jack before registering the smoke pouring into the room and just what was going on.
"Is that a fire alarm?" he demanded, and Jack rolled his eyes. There was no time for stupid questions!
"Help me wake everyone else!" he hissed the words through gritted teeth, jumping over the man and struggling to shake Bob awake. Yami ran off into the room, and Jack sighed knowing that Mark would be safe. Wade appeared, wide-eyed and hair unkempt. Bob stood up with the help of Jack, and the trio stumbled towards the door. Wade teetered towards the elevator and Jack yanked him towards the stairs. "Elevators won't be working right now, you dumbass!"
"Look out!" Bob shouted, and just as the group passed, a piece of the ceiling fell behind them and crashed to the ground. Jack kept the pair moving down the stairs, silently thanking God that they were only on the second floor. The managed to make it through the lobby and outside where many other people were gathering, and fire trucks were seen speeding down the road ways and into the parking lot. The trio looked up, and it seemed as though the top of the building had caught fire and was working its way down through each floor.
"Where's Mark?" Jack's head shot from the top of the building to Yami standing in front of the group and staring at them. His eyes widened, and he gaped at Yami.
"I thought you were going to get him."
"No, I went and woke up Wade." Yami said slowly, staring at Wade and back to Jack. Yami, Wade, and Bob exchanged glances as the realization hit Jack like a bolt of lightning. Of course.
There was a guest room.
Jack sprinted, showing past the group and heading straight inside. Firefighters behind him were shouting as well as his friends, but he ignored them. He tore through the lobby, shoving past people who were scared, crying, frantic. It was chaotic, but he managed through and shot up the stairs, taking them two at a time. He passed the elevator and stopped, hearing a banging noise. Someone was trapped in there. He picked up a fallen plank of wood and shoved it between the doors, prying it open despite the heat that was slowly becoming more and more intense. A large pair of hands appeared from inside, and helped Jack to open the metal. A father's face appeared in the smoke, and shoved a small girl out followed by a mother holding a small child. He paused to give Jack a nod, fear prominent in his gaze along with gratitude, and then he sprinted towards the room they were sharing.
Jack hadn't ever been so fearful, or angry, to give him as much energy as he had now, and he reared back and spartan kicked the door inward, sending it spiraling into a smoke filled apartment. Compared to the heat, and now fire, that was burning outside, the room appeared very calm. Jack ran back towards Mark's room, opening the door and finding the man asleep. He looked calm, collected, and almost as innocent as a baby. Jack could have stopped and admired forever, but there was no time.
"Mark!" he shouted, standing by the man and shaking him. The man's eyes opened briefly, closing and then opening wide as he smelled the smoke. He bolted upright, glancing around frantically at the smoke and the flames that he could hear. Before he could speak, or panic, Jack held out a hand. Everything seemed to freeze as Mark looked a the outstretched hand, and the up into Jack's eyes. They held the other's gaze for a single moment, and then Jack pulled him to his feet. As they made it to the living room, the sound of breaking glass made them both duck.
"Hey!" they turned to find a fireman standing atop a ladder, reaching a hand into the window. "We have room for one more."
Jack didn't even hesitate.
He shoved Mark towards the man, clasping their hands and watching as Mark was taken out through the window.
"Jack!" he shouted in surprise, and then in fear. "Jack, don't you leave me! Don't you fucking leave me!"
"Mark, you're safe. That's all that matters now!" Jack responded, taking Mark's outstretched hand and holding it briefly before the ladder retracted and their touch did too. "I'll find another way out!" Once he saw Mark touch the ground, Jack turned and sprinted out of the apartment. He heard the roof in the kitchen collapse, and turned to watch flames engulf it. He made his way towards the stairs, only to watch as the roof caved in before him.
Suddenly, the old wood popped, and then exploded, sending Jack flying backwards. He hit his head, and for a few moments he found that everything was blurry, and a ringing resonated in his ears.
"Mark, you have to make it for Mark." Jack reminded himself, and grudgingly got to his feet. He stumbled along the wall back the way he came, knowing there was a fire escape down on the other end of the hall. Another groan from the wood above, a popping sound, and something hit Jack on the head before everything went dark.

...
1 year later
...

Yami set the flowers down gently, making sure not to damage a single one. He stepped back, holding a hand over his mouth. Wade had a straight face, refusing to show anything other than grave sincerity, and Bob looked more lost than anything. Mark crouched, staring straight at the stone. The tombstone.
"Here lies Sean Mcloughlin, a man ahead of his time with bravery that will never be forgotten."
Mark choked back his own tears, staring, eyes unwavering. Just a year ago. Only a year. Bob rested a hand on the man's shoulder, and Mark gave it a brief glance before deeming it unworthy of his attention. He stared at the stone, rereading the words over and over, before shaking his head and standing.
"Chief Fischbach, there's a fire over on 223 West Sunset Avenue, we need you to report there immediately." Mark's radio chattered to him, and he looked at it before looking back up. He nodded to the guys before turning, and Yami caught him just before he left.
"Mark." Mark turned to the man, who simply stared at him. "Be careful."
"Always." Mark responded, turning and running back to his truck. The Fire Chief's truck. He would never be able to bring Jack back, that was for sure. But he knew that he would always be able to fight fires, and this was the best way to avenge the man he could call his hero.