Coffee

THIS CHAPTER BY author144 IS AMAZING OMG I LOVE IT

Jack would never forget the time he got hired to be a barista at the coffee shop down the street from him. He had recently moved to America, and was looking for a part time job to help him pay the bills. Coffee was something that he desperately needed to kickstart his day, otherwise he was one grumpy Irishman! They told him that anytime he wanted coffee, it was free there. That was all that was needed to bring Jack in.
He had been working there for several months, and had fit in rather well with most of the employees. They enjoyed his sense of humor, as did most of the customers. He was always in a good mood, ready to work and always optimistic. He kept the shop rather lively, and it earned quite the reputation with the customers. They were many people who frequented the place, but Jack only kept his eye on one in particular.
His name was Mark, and he often came in around mid morning. He had thick, dark hair and a smaller stature that was surprisingly muscular. His chocolate eyes were something to get lost into, and is Jack wasn't constantly reminded by his coworkers' giggling that he was there only to take Mark's order, he would stare as long as he could. His coworkers were well aware that Jack was bi, and also well aware of his interest in this man. He was always so kind, mellow, and his voice was something like melted chocolate. The girls all fawned over him, and Jack was almost positive that this man was straight and probably with some lucky girl, but he never showed up with a girl at any point. He seemed to ward off anyone interested in him, and maybe it was the attraction Jack had to him, but Mark seemed to stay a few more seconds at the counter just speaking with him. It was like living in a dream every morning that he arrived, and any days that he showed up a second time made Jack's heart flutter.
The only downside was his boss. His boss was a shorter, heavy-set man that was always angry. He was extremely homophobic, much to Jack's display, and his sexual orientation had only gone as far as his coworkers for this reason. He hated Jack for the man was always happy, and loud. He took every chance at blaming the Irishman for something, and cursed the manager every now and again for hiring him. As much as this hurt Jack, his coworkers were always nice enough to cheer him up. And if that never worked, there was always Mark.
The boss only came to check on everyone once in awhile, so mostly the coworkers and Jack would crack jokes, tell stories, have fun and of course tease him whenever Mark came in. Even they could hardly handle Mark, and whenever he did something like run a hand through his hair Jack died a little bit inside. He was so nice.
Maybe that's why Jack didn't hesitate that one fateful day.
"Are you single?" Jack froze as the question arose from one of his coworkers, a very kind female who batted her eyelashes at Mark as he was paying for his drink. Mark also froze, before looking up and giving one of his award-winning-heart-melting grins.
"I am, but I'm not exactly looking for girl," he said as kindly as he could, and she giggled.
"Oh, don't worry about me. That answer was for a friend of mine," she said, and as she left my side Jack could feel his cheeks heating up immensely. He felt himself beginning to blush, and swallowed as she laughed with the others behind him.
"Sorry about that." Jack said softly as Mark handed him the proper amount of money. Their hands brushed, and Jack felt his heart practically breaking through his ribs to escape his chest. He saw that there was an extra ten dollars, and he glanced up at Mark. "Mark, what are you doing? This is way too much money."
"Consider it a tip for always being so nice." Mark said, and he winked at Jack before turning. He winked at him. Jack nearly screamed inside, but rather turned around to where his coworkers were standing in a group, and they all gave him a thumbs up. The shop was relatively empty except for Mark, but they didn't risk talking anyway. Instead they communicated in various, vague facial expression and hand gestures.
"He said he wasn't looking for any 'girl!'" my female coworker hissed at me, and I grinned, nodding. "He could easily be bi, or gay!" She had said these things in excitement for Jack, about Mark, but Jack's boss chose that moment to stride through the back door to listen to what she said.
"Who is gay?!" he demanded, his voice echoing through the shop. Mark's head snapped up from the paper he was reading in the chairs sitting in the far corner behind us. Jack's coworkers backed up save for the female one, and Jack himself. "You?! I do not want you in my shop if you are!" the boss snapped, bringing his finger down to point at the girl. "Get out!" He howled, and the girl looked immensely frightened. This was a misunderstanding, and Jack wasn't going to stand for it.
"She was talking about me!" he snapped, stepping forward. "I'm bi, so what? Why is that such a bad thing? Its how I am! Why don't you fuck off and leave her alone!" the boss turned his attention to Jack then, grabbing the Irishman by the collar and literally tossing him through the gate onto the floor.
"You're not welcome here!" he shouted, his voice somehow getting progressively louder. He stormed forward, looking ready to pummel Jack into a tiny ball. "You-!"
"Stop." The word was firm, and just loud enough to be caught by everyone. The voice was smooth, and Jack turned bright red as Mark stood in front of him, hands crossed over his chest. "I was just contemplating asking this nice man out for coffee or something, I kind of need him." Jack's face flushed even more. What did he just hear? Everyone else seemed to be confused as well, and Mark stepped forward with a grin that was both sly and overly attractive. "I'm sorry, did I stutter? Or did I forget to mention that I am GAY!" he said sharply, and scowled. "There's nothing wrong with people like us. Have your opinion or whatever, but don't be an asshole about it!"
"Yeah, I don't like the way you treated Jack!" the female spoke up from behind the counter, stepping away from her friends. "I quit!" With that, she untied her apron and threw it on the floor, grabbing her coat, her purse, and stomping by Jack and out the door, giving him a friendly grin on the way out. Jack then watched as every one of his other girl coworkers threw their own aprons on the ground and walked out. Jack stood up quickly to do the same but Mark seemed to be two steps ahead of him. His hands were already behind him, untying the knot and making the Irishman blush even more somehow.
"Goodbye!" Mark said, waving and grinning while dragging Jack behind him. Jack tried to ignore the fact that he and Mark were holding hands and simply walked with the man. After a few moments of silence, Mark stopped and simply started laughing. Jack, taking in the entire situation, decided to join him, and the pair found themselves a bench as the cool of the evening set it. They continued laughing, until Jack thought he surely had created a six pack for himself. Mark wiped tears from his face. "Man, I knew I had to come out to someone at sometime but goddamn I did not expect that." Jack grinned at Mark, who stared back with the eyes that Jack could finally lose himself in.
"Does that mean you were serious?" Jack asked cautiously, and Mark smiled.
"What, about taking you out for coffee? No, its far too late to get coffee, and I already had my second helping of the day." Jack felt disappointment sink in him like a stone, and then Mark rested his hand on the Irishman's. "However, I know this really great place up the road that makes some great Thai food." Jack looked up, and found Mark leaning in closely, looking into Jack's eyes. "And we can get coffee tomorrow. Sound good to you?"
"S-sure does!" Jack said, standing and following Mark as he led the way. "So long as we don't go back to THAT place!"
"Of course not, ya dingus! That guy was terrible!"
"Yeah."
"Hey Jack, has anyone ever told you that you're eyes are fucking gorgeous?" Jack laughed.
"Like you have much room to talk, Mark."