Are You Sorry?

This is Part Two of a previous chapter, "Neglection Caused by Fame". Enjoy.

The comments left unanswered were not only without any sort of reply, but they were surprisingly noticed.

Mark saw them. He thought Jack was overreacting, but he still proceeded to read everything sent to him by the man he hasn't bothered talking to in months. He read the five comments on his videos, the one-hundred twelve texts, the ten asks on tumblr, the fifty comments on his Instagram posts, the seventy five tweets, and he listened to the three voice mails.

Mark started sobbing when his perusal of Jack's messages came to a conclusion. However, it would go without saying that he was already crying in the midst of reading all those messages.

To hear how broken Jack was after all of this was heartbreaking. Mark could barely listen to what Jack had to say, for the sound of his voice was barely listenable, due to the sounds of Mark weeping. To read how depressed Jack had become without any sort of light in his life was absolutely gut-wrenching. He wrote messages where he could clearly put most of his thoughts without being interrupted, unlike his voice mails, where he was crying the entire time.

Mark was sorry. He never made a plan to apologize, but he was sorry.

Though he was in a state of regret, his life went on normally. He continued to interact with his fans and make videos, and it seemed surreal that not one person noticed anything different in Mark. Even after sobbing for over an hour, he was still fine. It was as if Jack had never even existed.

Days passed, and though on the outside he looks fine, he knew something was wrong on the inside. He acknowledged the empty hole in his chest and wished that ignoring it would make it would away, but that would never work. If his heart was a large physical object outside of his body, he would fill the hole with cement. But that, of course, would also not work. So, he knew what he had to do, and he reluctantly went through with it.

Then he typed. He also erased. He typed again. Then he erased an entire line. Then he erased everything.

Mark sat back in his chair, pondering the situation he was in. The words he would choose matter just has much as the air he was currently breathing. He discussed with himself in his head, picking out all the possible outcomes...for himself. He was never a selfish guy, not most of the time, but at this moment, everything was about him. Most people would be disappointing in him for thinking like that.

Then, once again, his fingers moved swiftly across the keys on his keyboard, pressing the keys that spelled out exactly what he wanted to say. He erased a word and fixed it. He erased a few words and put a period at the end. He erased an entire sentence and rewrote it. Then, after all of that, he pressed send.

***

Jack ignored the Skype message he got, assuming it was from no one special. He recorded some games, ate some food, and thought deeply about the life he was stuck living in. As the sun went down and the day was coming to its end, he checked the message. Tears formed in his eyes as he saw who sent it.

Jack, my dear, I know I never talked to you. I miss you. I just haven't had the time to say anything, for YouTube has gotten in my way. Life has been a struggle, and YouTube seemed to be the only thing that could cheer me up. It was hard finding my courage to speak to you again, but here I am. I don't think we'll ever be able to go back to what we once were. Our relationship was just so...so troubling, and I want to do what's for the best of both of us. So, I think for now, we should stay away from each other. I hope you understand, and I also hope you won't get pissed at me for this.