Umbrella

Well, would you look at this. An update! It's been a while since I last wrote, and it feels so great to get this chapter done. I hope you all enjoy it <3

Jack expected to catch the bus before it started to rain, but he was sadly wrong. With music playing in his headphones, phone in hand and opened to the Twitter app, he knew he was fucked as he felt drops of rain on his head. A few more landed on his phone screen, forcing him to wipe them off in annoyance. Minutes later, he was drenched in rain and soaking wet. As much as he loved rain, he was not a fan of being stuck in it, especially when he had to wait almost twenty minutes until the bus arrived. He contemplated running back to his house, but changed his mind as a cute stranger with a heartwarming smile walked up next to him.

"Need an umbrella?" he offered, chuckling slightly. Jack nearly shit his pants after hearing the man's angelic voice. He held out his dark blue umbrella that was surprisingly big for one person, unless he usually had someone with him whenever he used it. Either way, his umbrella was big enough to fit two-maybe even three-people under it.

"Uh, yeah. Thanks." Jack took a step next to the polite stranger, letting out a sigh in relief as the rain no longer poured on him. His shoulder accidentally brushed the other man's shoulder, making Jack blush. He looked away in attempt to hide his blush, additionally moving over an inch or two so they could both have their space under the umbrella. Seeing as how large it was, there was no need for Jack to be standing that close to the stranger. He realized that he still had his ear buds in, so he paused his music and took them out from his ears. He only wanted to be polite to this guy, seeing as how he was being polite to Jack.

"My name is Mark, by the way." the man said, looking over at Jack.

Jack smiled, "My name's Sean. Most people call me Jack, so I'm fine with ya calling me that."

"With an accent like that, you can't possibly be from around here. Are you Scottish?"

"Irish, actually. People always seem t' mix up the two."

"Yeah, I suppose so," Mark paused to see if Jack had anything to add, but when nothing was said, he continued to speak, "Did you move here from Ireland?"

"I did, actually. I just want to go somewhere new, y'know? Most of my friends had moved to America anyway, so I decided to move here."

"Ah, that makes sense." Mark gently rocked back and forth on his feet, making sure not to move the umbrella too much. An awkward silence started to form, but Mark was quick to break it. "So, uh, play any video games?"

Jack wanted to laugh at this man. Not because he wanted to make fun of him, but because he found it quite adorable to see how much he loved to talk. That made Jack wonder if he was special, or if Mark was just friendly. "Yeah, of course I do! Shadow of the Colossus is easily my favorite. Everything is just so giant, and it's so fucking cool!"

"I personally like any games without mannequins. They're just so damn creepy."

"You must have a great time walking through the mall with your girlfriend, huh?" Jack nudged Mark, throwing him a wink, which made the other man laugh.

"As handsome as I am, I have no girlfriend."

"Dude, we can be forever alone together!"

"I'm up for that!" They both laughed at this, bur Mark laughed a little too hard, for he accidentally dropped the umbrella.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Mark said, picking the umbrella back up. He looked down at his body with a disappointed expression upon seeing his clothes damp. He wanted to avoid getting wet from the rain, but luck just wasn't on his side.

They spent the next fifteen minutes cracking jokes and getting to know each other, along with annoying one another on occasions. Jack admittedly fell in love with Mark's adorabke laughter, and he wished he could hear it on repeat for hours on end. Jack, despite how much he desired to go home, was perfectly fine with waiting for the bus with Mark for another hour. He had a profound interest in this man, and Mark made it clear that he felt the same way towards Jack as well.

Jack was almost sad to see the bus pull up in front of them. He was hesitant to climb aboard, but he did so anyway, hoping that Mark would just sit next to him. As he hopped on the bus, he felt as if something was missing, so he turned around to see Mark just standing there.

"Mark, aren't ya comin' on?"

"No, sorry. My house isn't too far from here, so I'm just walking home."

"What-Mark, how long does it take ya to get home?"

"It takes around five minutes from here."

"Five minutes? Mark, you could've gone home ages ago! Why'd ya stay with me?"

Mark shrugged, "I like you."

Jack snorted, his cheeks tinting pink as he remembered that everyone in the bus was listening to him. He felt bad for holding them up, so he reluctantly cut his conversation short with Mark.

"I like you too, Mark."

Mark smiled and waved, "See you later, Jack."

"Bye!" Jack replied, waving back. The doors closed and Jack sat down at the back of the bus, staring at the window to look at Mark, in a non-stalkerish way. The man looked a lot less cheerful than he had a few seconds ago, and he walked the opposite direction of the way the bus was going with his head tilted toward the ground. Jack prayed that he would see Mark again, missing him immediately after he was no longer in sight.

The next day, Jack spent a good amount of time playing video games at a friend's house, and he unintentionally sighed in annoyance as it started to rain again whole he waited for the bus. He didn't want to spend time waiting like he had the day before, so he started walking home.

He nearly walked three feet without seeing his hero with the oversized dark blue umbrella. Don't worry-Jack made sure to get his number this time.