Operation: Cheer Mark Up

Mark eyed his phone as it lit up, indicating that he got a notification. He wanted to assume it was a text, but none of his friends bothered to stay up until four in the morning. So, he was surprised to see that his good friend, Jack, had messaged him.

Jackie Chan: Hey, you alright?

Mark sighed in annoyance as he read the text. No, he was obviously not alright, but he didn't want anyone to bother him about it. Jack, however, would be very persistent in finding out what was wrong. Mark could try his hardest, but nothing would be able to get Jack to leave him alone.

Me: Yeah, yeah, im fine

Jackie Chan: You sit on a throne of LIES

Me: Did..did you just...

Jackie Chan: Quote elf? FUCK YEAH!

Me: Haha. Well, im fine. nothing to worry about here.

Jackie Chan: C'mon, Mark! I know a lie when i see it, and your lying right now!

Me: No, im not. just get some sleep, k? it's like 4 AM

Jackie Chan: ...

Jackie Chan: Youre up too, I hope you know

Me: SHHHH

Jackie Chan: Look, i'm coming over right now, ok?

Me: Jack, you really don't have to.

Jackie Chan: I'm already outside, and you live across the street from me. Expect a knock on your door in

Jackie Chan: 3...

Jackie Chan: 2...

Jackie Chan: 1!

Just as Jack texted, Mark heard a knock on the door. He contemplated locking Jack outside, but it was the middle of winter, and he didn't want to hear Jack screaming about he cold he is. He reluctantly moved from his warm bed to his front door, flinching at the gust of cold air that hit him as he opened the door.

Jack jumped in Mark's house, giving Mark a very tight hug. Mark had no idea if this was Jack's idea of "cheering him up", or he was just really cold and used Mark's body heat for warmth. Either way, he struggled to get out of Jack's tight grip.

"So, now that I'm here," Jack said as he let go of Mark, letting him breathe. "we shall begin 'Operation: Cheer Mark Up'!"

"I'm sure nothing you do will help, but that's alright."

"Aw, Mark, don't be such a party pooper! Now, let's get some hot cocoa!"

Jack ran into Mark's kitchen before Mark could stop him. He threw open the fridge and grabbed milk and chocolate syrup, pouring both into two separate mugs for the two of them to enjoy. He carefully placed both of the mugs in the microwave, hoping that it was safe, and heated up the drinks.

"Jack, you really don't have to do this."

"I don't have to do this," Jack took the drinks out of the microwave, handing a mug to Mark and smiling. "but I want to. Now, drink up! We're going to play some Mario Kart!"

When Mark was about to turn on his Wii U, Jack shoved him aside and did it himself. Though Mark had the urge to protest, he decided to just sit down and let Jack do as he pleased. He hated to admit that he was feeling a little bit better now, the presence of his giddy friend making him feel quite happy. He couldn't tell whether he was happy because Jack was doing so much for him, or if Jack's excited personality was rubbing off on Mark. Despite what it was, Mark was still grateful for it.

"Alright, we're ready to go." Jack handed Mark a remote.

Mark's eyes widened at the sight of their first race. "Rainbow Road? Seriously?"

Jack shrugged. "Why not? We'll just rage a lot less later on." Mark laughed, starting the race. They both attempted to get the speed boost at the beginning, but only Mark was successful.

"Fuck!" Jack yelled, trying to get his car to move. When he started driving, he accidentally drove off the course and into the void. Mark tried to contain his laughter, but failed.

"Hey, don't laugh at me, ya bastard!" This made Mark laugh even more, causing him to lose control of his vehicle and swerve off the road. Instead of being upset, he laughed even more. Mark realized that he hadn't laughed that hard in a very long time. Months, in fact. Had he really been that sad all that time?

By the time the race had ended, Jack had stepped up his game and won first place. Surprisingly, Mark ended up in last place, but he wasn't as upset as he imagined himself to be. He supposed that he just came to the terms that he was terrible at Rainbow Road.

"Get dunked on!" Jack screamed, triumphantly waving his arms in the air.

"You suck ass." Mark joke, both of them laughing. Before starting a new race, however, Jack turned to Mark.

"Months, Mark. It's been months since I've seen you this happy."

There was no point in saying anything else. "I know."

"What's up, Mark? Answer honestly."

Mark couldn't answer honestly. Not fully, anyway. "Oh, it's just...someone I like. They don't like me back."

"How do you know for sure?"

"I just know."

"Who is this person? I will fight them until they love you!"

Mark chuckled. "It's fine. I'll be able to get over them soon enough. Let's just play some more Mario Kart before you go home."

"Who says I'm going home?" Jack smirked. Mark slapped him.

By the time they finished playing Mario Kart, it was six o'clock, and neither of them were tired. They suggested getting some coffee, but ended up deciding against that. They had no idea what to do, until Jack finally came up with an idea.

"Let's Netflix and chill without the chill!" Jack fist pumped the air.

"Heck yeah!" Mark yelled. This time, Mark was the one to set up Netflix, but they chose what to watch together. Eventually, they agreed on watching Death Note.

Though they desired to speak to each other, they stayed silent and focused on the show. They attempted to watch Death Note with an English dub, but it just didn't seem fitting, and made them both uncomfortable. Thus, they stuck to English subtitles. They both knew that this would quickly become one of their favorite shows, so they continued to watch episode after episode.

Three episodes in, Jack and Mark made eye contact. Mark looked away as Jack shifted closer. Afraid of what was going on, Mark scooted away, and Jack did the same after seeing this reaction. Neither of them spoke about what had happened, but five minutes later, Jack moved closer again. Something changed, and Mark didn't move away. Their bodies were touching, and the two boys were aware that they've never been so close before. Without question, Mark rested his head on Jack's shoulder.

He felt small. He felt safe. He felt protected.

"It was me, wasn't it?"

Mark didn't need to ask what Jack was talking about, for he already knew. He didn't reply.

"Say something, Mark." Jack pleaded. Though he wanted to stay silent, he nodded and let out a shaky breath. He tensed up as he felt Jack's arm wrap around him, but soon relaxed.

Jack smiled, but Mark wasn't able to see it. "I like you too, Mark."

Mark smiled and closed his eyes, drifting off to sleep with a sense of peace that he had dreamed of feeling for months. As he spent his last few moments awake, he felt Jack plant a soft kiss on his forehead. Finally, he was happy.