Protector

This chapter is written by the one-and-only author144!

"Hitting up the gym again today, yah?" Mark asked over the phone, keeping it between his ear and shoulder as he moved around his kitchen to make himself food. He was talking to Jack who had just moved in near by and was talking about getting back into shape. Mark offered to take him to the gym that he went to regularly, and they'd been going every day for around a month.
"Yah, I look forward to it. I'll see you at two as usual." Jack's voice seemed to trail off on the other end of the phone, and Mark frowned, pausing from where he was cracking eggs into a frying pan. He opened his mouth to ask if his friend was alright, but the line went dead before any words even made it to his lips. He didn't like the way this was going, but he wasn't going to call back to bother him.
"You'll see him at two later today. You can ask him then if you'd like." Mark told himself softly, and sighed before going upstairs to make sure his gym things were together.

~~~~

Mark let out a loud sigh as he finally finished the workout, doing the last few of his push ups and getting into a stretching position for his arms. Jack finished just after him, stumbling to his side and following suit with his stretches. The pair looked at one another and laugh, covered in sweat and completely worn out. Exercising always lifted their spirits, and despite the fact that Jack seemed normal now, Mark hadn't forgotten how he'd acted earlier at the mention of coming here.
"Alright, I say we head home where my pizza awaits me." Jack said, picking up his bag and walking towards the door. Mark grinned, following the man out. Jack paused to look at something, and Mark went ahead towards the door to open it for him.
"Jack, let's-." he paused when he saw a trio of men next to the Irishman, the first one a man taller than them both and towering over Jack, and saying something fiercely to him. Jack turned away, and walked quickly towards Mark. He whisked out the door, and Mark watched him go before looking up at the trio of men and glaring. "Hey, what happened back there?" he asked, catching up to Jack before he got into his car.
"They were just saying that people as scrawny as me shouldn't go to gyms." Jack mumbled, not being able to meet Mark's gaze. Mark blinked, feeling anger fill him. His jaw clenched, and Jack looked up as Mark turned to go back into the gym. "Mark, no. Its okay, we'll just come back tomorrow and hope they aren't here."
"Jack, how long have they been bothering you?" Mark asked, and Jack swallowed, looking back down.
"Awhile, but it's really no big deal," he added quickly, glancing up. "Just go home, and we'll come back tomorrow at one instead. Then they won't be here and we can workout and leave." With that, Jack shut his door and drove off, leaving Mark to glare through the window. Why hadn't Jack told him that these other men were bothering him like this? He wasn't sure; maybe Jack felt self conscious that he was smaller than most everyone in the gym. Even so, he was only required to try his hardest at the gym. No one should feel like that. Mark balled up his fists.
They wouldn't bother Jack again.

~~~

"Here." Jack threw the towel at Mark, making sure that it hit the man right in the face. His muffled laugh was barely audible through the thick cloth, and Mark removed it to let the sound resonate. Jack beamed at him, looking a lot more relaxed than he'd even been.
They had arrived at the gym an hour earlier, as planned, and he had returned to normal. They had told the manager of the gym what was happening, and he promised to keep an eye on the trio for future reference as well. Mark packed his bag, and followed Jack out of the gym.
"Jack if you don't hurry up I might have to-.." Mark began, heading for his car when he noticed that Jack wasn't near him at all. Rather he was next to the door where a familiar trio of men stood.
"I thought I told scrawny people like you to stay out." the first man said, his voice loud and lower pitched. Jack took a step back, and Mark felt himself freeze in fear. The man wouldn't hit Jack, right? He looked through the window to where another member of the gym was running to get the manager; Mark looked back to where the man began advancing on the Irishman. They wouldn't make it in time. "You can take your stupid accent and just get out of here!" The man brought a fist towards Jack, who naturally turned away from being hit.
Mark caught his fist.
The man seemed surprised, and the pair behind him cheering him on came to a crashing halt. He ripped his hand from Mark's, who turned to look at his friend and make sure he was alright. Then he turned back to the man.
"Do me a favor and leave my friend alone, okay?" he asked, his voice firm.
"We don't need weaklings like this in our gym. Why not help us get over this nonsense?" the man asked, and Mark turned to Jack.
"I think I will," he said simply, and reared his arm back only to turn and slam his fist directly into the man's nose, sending him flying back into his group of followers. Shaking out his wrist, Mark turned to Jack once more. "Okay, done. Shall we go home?"
Jack was a bit too dumbfounded to do much else rather than nodding, but followed the man back to the car in silence. Needless to say, no one really bothered Jack after that.