Family

Finally, I've written a chapter! It's been so long since I've written Septiplier, and I'm glad to be slowly getting back into the swing of things.
(Please excuse any major mistakes. I'm tired.)
Anyway, remember when I requested ideas for one-shots months ago? Well, I had a bunch of requests piling up in my drafts, and after not touching this story for the longest time, I came across this idea. I give my thanks to Loki_Lauffeyson for requesting such a lovely one-shot :) I hope you all enjoy my long-overdue chapter!

"Mark, ya ready?"

Mark tried to relax with Jack's reassuring shoulder-squeeze, but he was still unable to find comfort in the situation. The intense fear of introducing Jack to his family dawned on him since the day they first declared themselves boyfriend and boyfriend. Don't get him wrong—his family means the world to him. But they always stuck to tradition, and that sadly included love.

When Mark announced his first romantic interest in college, his parents kicked him out. His mom was partially opposed to that idea, but she sided with his father. It was a pretty drastic decision, but they luckily let Mark move back in when his relationship ended. Though he had now been moved out for years, he still trembled when he made the phone call to ask if his partner could accompany him to a family dinner. With much reluctance, his parents agreed.

"Baby, we don't have to do this-"

"No, no. It's okay." Mark curled his hand into a fist, giving a hesitant knock on the door. "I'm ready now."

Jack smiled, planting a soft kiss on Mark's cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too." Mark muttered, sounding a lot more unenthusiastic than he meant to be.

He tensed as the door swung open, revealing his mother. "Hey, Mom."

"Oh, Mark! I haven't seen you for such a long time. Come here." She pulled her son into a hug, as if she was trying to let him know that she welcomed the two of them with open arms. Mark realized this and immediately wondered if everything wouldn't be as bad as he expected it to be.

"And you must be Jack! Hi, I'm Mark's mom." Jack smiled at her and nodded, looking like a new puppy that had just been brought to his new home.

"Come in, will you?" She stepped aside and help the door open for the two. Mark took off his shoes when he stepped inside, Jack inspecting the room before him as Mark's mom closed the door.

"Where's Tom?" Mark asked, knowing that his brother wasn't here. If he was, he most likely would have been the one to answer the door.

"Ah," Mark's dad said, clearing his throat as he stepped in the room. He stood by his wife's side and glared intimidatingly at Jack. "Thomas is spending some time with his girlfriend's family." Both Mark and Jack winced at the slight emphasis on 'girlfriend'.

"Look, uh, why don't you two get settled. I'll make you both some hot cocoa." Mark was glad that his mom knew exactly when to step in. As she headed toward the kitchen, she leaned towards Jack's ear and whispered, "Hot cocoa was always Mark's favorite as a little boy."

Jack chuckled at this, making Mark blush. His father, who was clearly uncomfortable, decided to leave the room as well. Mark guided Jack to the couch, and they both took a seat.

Jack gripped Mark's hand as they sat down together. "So far, so good, right?" The Irish man asked.

"My dad doesn't like you." Mark blurted out. He would have liked to act like everything was alright, because it certainly was with his mom, but his dad was an entirely different story. His mom was accepting, and she seemed to learn quickly and adapt to Mark's feelings. His dad, on the other hand, seemed bothered by the whole situation.