Chapter 54: War

Chapter 54: War

          "See you soon Al," Martin kissed my forehead. "What the.." I looked up at him.

          "The next time I see you, we'll be about the same height. See you then."

          "See you," I put on my helmet, started up my motorcycle and drove through the chaos. Broken windows and glass everywhere you looked. Hardly anyone in sight and when you did see someone they were carrying something with a price tag still on it.  Things became even more hectic.

          I heard a buzzing in my ear.

          "Hello?"

          Tim, or I guess Robin's, voice answered, "Cure! Are you close?"

          "What street?"

          "16th street."

          "I'm only a few blocks away. Be right there."

          "Okay."

            Once I got there Robin was the first to give me a look. I ran over and stood next to him waiting for instruction. "Where's Martin," he whispered

.          "Don't worry about it. What's my orders?" I wiped my forehead.

          "Cancer is expected to hit that hospital," he pointed across the street, "Nightwing, you, me, and  Miss M are going in there."

          I nodded and followed their lead. Nightwing first, Robin, Miss M, and then me. We each split up to search for him. Everything was quiet and I could hear them talking over Miss M's physic link. I didn't think a word though.

          Suddenly, I heard a faint stifle. I quickly pressed myself against the wall and carefully looked into every room. All of them were abandoned. The news had said that all patients were taken to a safe location.

           I stopped the moment I heard a creek. I thought through the physic link, "Some one is on this floor with me." Nightwing's voice was first to come reply, "Check it out. Don't go in by yourself."

          I stopped myself from accidentally saying a remark in my head and through the link.

           I continued through and then I came to it. Cancer was connecting wires at the speed of lightning. "Guys, it's the Can man," I thought. I could practically hear these kids giggling.

          Robin immediately replied, "I'm already on my way."

          Cancer continued connecting for as a waited and abruptly stopped. Oh shit...

        "Alexandra?" He looked up at the side of the door. I was not exposed at all though...

         Robin ran on the other side of the door. We tried to make sense through the link but we weren't given a lot of time.

          "Cure come out here this instant!"

          Tim recommended that we go though the vents and come behind him, though that is the ideal plan, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

        Rob and I stared at each other without thinking or saying a word.

           I stepped out abruptly, "Drop the meds."

          I'm sorry, I had to...

          I heard Tim in the Physic link, "What he hell are you!"

          I took a deep breath, "Can't you just stop, please? Couldn't you, for once think about anyone other than yourself?"

          Cancer stared at me in disbelief, "Excuse me?"

          I couldn't see his face but I could feel his brow furrow. He pinned me to the closest wall and pulled out a small knife. "Listen here you ungrateful piece of shit! You would not even be alive now if it weren't for me. I kept you alive but I can change that right now."

          I slammed my head against his, which was in a giant hood. He fell back and hit Robin. Instantaneously, he pulled Robin's hands back and put him in a half-nelson.

          The loud crash of Robin's bo-staf hitting the floor echoed in my ear.

          Cancer grabbed a syringe and held the needle close to Robin's neck.

          "C'mon guys, where are you?" I thought.

          I could see a slight redness coming from within his hood, "This has over twenty doses of that bloody virus. Disobey me one more time and he's done for."

          "Are you that much of a wuss! Bringing Robin, of all your enemies I to this? You are weak Mento-" I coughed, "Cancer."

          I felt a tugging on my arm. Two little fair hands hugged at my hand, then two more, and then again. I turned around to see four red eyes girls with body parts missing, holding guns. They all had hard brown hair, brown eyes... they were all exact copies. Copies of me.

          Of all the horrid things Mentor could do, constructing bodies was the weirdest. All you need is one cell, he multiplies that and gets tissue, an organ, and organ system, and finally an organism. Soulless, simply a puppet for his own use.

          "Now now, would you hit a little girl? Someone that was just like you?"

        I picked one of them put by the waist and looked at her. She was missing a foot, that didn't stop him from giving her a knife. She swung her arms and scraped my cheek.

         It stung like a paper cut.

          "That won't stop them..." Can uttered again.

          My eyes burned and I took the child and threw her into his chest. The syringe dropped and Robin picked it up.

          "These girls are nothing like me. They are a part of your own twisted reality, they hardly are people.

          The girls vanished into thin air.

        Robin picked up the syringe. I leaped forward and punched Can in the stomach.

           Robin and I looked at each other at the same time.

          I waved my hand in the direction of the door, signaling for him to leave. He shook his head and stepped back.

          I picked Rob's bo-staff and dodged when Can charged towards me. He pulled out his favorite sword. It was black metal and always sharpened to perfection.

          He charged again and this time the two weapons met. Can is much less of a combat person, so beating him in a fight shouldn't be as a hard as you would think. He's got more brains than brawn, mind you, that's still a lot of brawn.

          I kicked his side and while he wobbled, I hit him onto the ground. Just before I could hit him again he grabbed my leg. I immediately felt the excruciating pain through the ret of my body.

          I hit him one more time and managed to cuff his hands and legs. I tried to keep him still, Robin helped by shooting electricity onto him with his bostaff.

         I began trying to get in touch with Nightwing and Miss M when I crashed onto the floor. Robin ran and pulled up my pants on the leg Can had grabbed.

          I looked away but from Robin's face, I could tell it was bad.

          I began feeling faint and could hardly make out what everyone was saying via the link. In a few minutes, Miss M and Nightwing appear in the room. Everything is blurry but I can still feel as someone holds me tightly, warmly, all the way until I can see nothing but darkness.