Money + Missing You

Magsimula sa umpisa

Jack's eyes filled with tears, looking at Mark. He could barely speak, and his heart was slow. They were alone, per Jack's request.

"I am so sorry Mark." he cried, holding his cold hand. Mark only smiled weakly.

"Just let me eat, I'll get over this soon."

Jack took a spoon of soup and let Mark eat it all, for the purpose being to just finish him off-he had put poison in it, more to just stop his heart. He couldn't bear to see him struggle anymore, and he just wanted to let him go in peace, at this point Mark could never recover. The money didn't matter.

"I love you." Jack sighed, his voice breaking as he wiped the stray tears from his cheeks, putting the bowl of soup to the side as he watched someone he only realized he truly loved take his last breath.

"I love you too, Jack."

It was only until a very firm long beep sent Jack back into reality, his eyes snapping to Mark and then to the monitor, showing just a flat line.

His muffled cries turned into sobs as Nat stepped in, crying out to the doctors as soon as she saw what had happened.

Jack, who was on the floor, his body shaking with every sob he made. It was all his fault.

He knew what he done. He took an innocent life for paper bills. He took a father from a child, he took a son from a family, he took an inspiration, a hero, to millions-things he never thought of.

***

Missing You

He wasn't good enough.

That was the reason Mark told himself every second of the day.

When he went out to eat, while he took a shower, while he was recording, when he made collabs, especially when Jack was in it. He had to act like he was fine and smiled through everything, something everyone believed.

But at night, when the sky was dark and the moon shone over LA, Mark sat on his bed and let his sadness consume him. Everyday was just an endless cycle he had to repeat-for the sake of his family and fans.

Mark's eyes snapped to the mirror, where he saw his once bright brown eyes filled with tears.

"Fuck," he muttered to himself, falling on the mattress and taking the nearest pillow and burying his face on it.

His body shook with every sob he made. His own muffled cries sent him to even louder ones, purely from the pity he had on himself. How pathetic was he? Jack had a perfectly good girlfriend now, he was happy, and he moved on.

Mark could remember their latest collab with Felix.

It was Rocket League, a game everyone who was playing loved immensely.

"Felix!" Jack laughed, his cheeks rosy red with the funny (and inappropriate) joke the Swedish gamer had made.

"What? It's true."

Mark, who knew he was being recorded, only smiled and chuckled to himself. He couldn't see Jack's face, neither Felix's, it was only a Skype call.

"Hey Mark," Jack coughed, recovering from his laughter.

"Yeah?" he answered, gulping silently. The two pretended nothing happened, and genuinely tried to still be friends.

"You know I missed 'ye."

Mark's toes curled in on themselves, chills running up his spine. How was he going to respond to that?

"I missed you too." he said, almost choking with his words. It was meant in a friendly way, not in the way Mark meant it to be.

"How's Ireland? Felix what the hell-?" Mark wondered aloud, his sentence about Jack's return to Ireland being cut off by Felix's goal score for the other team.

"Well, shit, I'm sorry!" Felix yelled.

The three laughed it off and continued to play.

"Ireland's great, Mark. Still as rainy as I remember it."

Just like his mood.

He snapped himself back into reality when he wiped the ongoing river of tears off his cheeks and untangled himself from the pillow.

But he didn't stop crying. Occasional whimpers left his dry lips as he hugged yet another pillow, knowing he was going to cry himself to sleep, and then wake at five in the morning to start recording. Mark glanced at the clock: 1:00AM.

His phone started buzzing rapidly and lit up the ceiling, so Mark lazily reached out and saw just the person he didn't expect: Jack.

Mark slid his thumb against the screen to answer it, putting his phone to his ear.

"Jack?" he asked with a raspy voice, evident he was crying. He didn't even care anymore.

"M-Mark?" Jack stammered, taken aback by Mark's tone.

"Yeah, it's me."

"I am so sorry, Mark."

Mark smiled to himself sadly and nodded, knowing the Irishman couldn't see him.

"Have a fun life, okay? None of it will be your fault."

-

"What the fuck?!" Jack cried, standing up in surprise as he heard the voice from the other line.

In anger he dropped the call and turned to his girlfriend, who was startled by Jack's sudden commotion.

"What happened?" she asked, her voice shaky.

"They say they've found him hanging by the neck in his bedroom."