82| Eve

December 24th (3 MONTHS LATER)

Ryleigh's POV:

"Hand it to her mama," with a gentle nudge, I encourage Jniia to hand the gift bag to the toddler before her.

We're almost finished with the retreat after being out here since day break. Mi ready fi go in 'cause one thing 'bout Vere? the mosquito dem always on time every single evening weh God send.

We got here early this morning. Myself, Junior, Jniia and Rhyeem. Jordanne's probably not going to make it before we're done since he's busy with his lawyers... but I wanted to make sure my kids start to learn and understand the art of sharing before another year passes.

"Tank yew," the little boy extends his thanks to Jniia.

"You whelcoom," she smiles and picks up the next bag.

"It's Rhyeem's turn," I pick up a bag and hand it to him.

*Mi nuh feel like him like this enuh*

Not at all... but him ago learn fi like it.

"Give it to her..." I whisper to him.

He does just that without saying a single word.

"Thank youuu," she smiles before skipping off.

"Did'na way for yu welkom?" he turns to look at me confused at the little girl's reaction.

I laugh out and so does Trisse and everybody else around us.

"She excited big man," Kirk explains to him, "She nuh wah hear yuh 'you're welcome' story."

We continue like this until the line is down to just three separate families.

Junior and Trisse takes care of one, mommy takes care of the other and my babies and I do one- all simultaneously.

As soon as they move away, Trisse leggo her mouth.

"Woiiiiiii ah tyadddd," Trisse starts stretching up and out on her tippy toes. "Cous gyal, hire people fi do this next time... mi back cya manage eh."

"Watch hype. You same one a help every single year till yuh dead," I turn to her.

"Knock wood," my mother chimes in.

"Melli come yerr. From morning she a look fi yuh!" Trisse ignores us- her attention now fixed on a taxi that seems to be releasing the teen girl from Valentine's Day.

*Melli she name girl*

Yes... Melli.

That's why me cya remember. Her name just stop deh so...

Melli. Not Mellisa, not Mellanie..... just Melli her mother give her and say sekkle wid that.

"You know me take the early morning selling so mommy can rest ina the day and go back out fi grand market while me gah party," she explains herself while walking over to us.

"Me sister tek a goodie bag fi me?!" she adds, staring at the empty tables before us.

"No... everything done," I decide to dampen her mood.

She looks over at me, struggling to find the words to say.

"Well as long as my sister get something fi herself... that good," her tone is appreciative but her eyes have grown sad.

"Me ago 'round go get some sleep before me go back a MayPen," she adds while dragging the straps of her bag-pack, only to lift a set of grocery bags just after.