2| Modern Family

Jordanne's POV:

For the entire ride back she's been asleep.

Weh mi wouldn't do fi have that peace of mind. The peace of mind that allows blissful sleep.

Rest...

Dreams instead of nightmares....

I glance at her again and her eyes flutter open this time.

"Hi," I trail off, swinging my eyes back to the road.

"Hi... we nuh reach yet?" she asks.

Always impatient and pregnancy nuh mek dat no better.

*Believe...*

"Almost... you wah pick up supm from Mum dem or you wah make yuh own concoction, " I ask.

*'Cause she been a eat some things bredda... lef it to Jah...*

She doesn't answer...

A moment of silence sweeps the car before I repeat the question.

She still doesn't answer, she's playing with her wedding band and I know what's coming next. Before she has the chance to jump to whatever conclusion she skillfully created about me being on the phone earlier, I cut her off.

"Talk babe, before we turn..."

She rolls her eyes, biting back her words.

I chuckle and she smiles.

"Fine... we affi stop a you mother anyway, might as well get her food"

Mi know man...

"Ah" is all I offer before fixing my attention to the route leading to my childhood home.

=

=

Moments later we're pulling in.

I hop out of the car and move to her door. Flying it open, I help her out.

"Want yuh slippers?" I query.

"Nope" she simply says.

She's opted to take the bare foot route.

*Foot dem swell... just from sitting all morning and for half of the afternoon*

Baby yah need fi lift up outa me wife...

*Your baby...*

Still... it need fi exit so she can be good.

"Muhh-mahhhh," it's Jniia's (Jeh-Ny-Ah) tiny voice. She's stomping towards us, barely able to hold herself up at only 10 months.

I shake my head, watching her keenly.

"Yuh ago drop again enuh mi G," Junior complains, walking swiftly behind her.

"Come to mommy baby," Ry' coos, excited about her tiny steps.

JJ looks to me and we both shrug our shoulders at the two stubborn females before us.

He's almost eleven and has had a growth sprout out of nowhere.

*Man a almost Sue height already*

My mother is tiny but still....

I bring my eyes from Junior back to Jniia. She's about to make it to her mother but falls.

*Like we did predict*

Jah Jah...

I move to her, scooping her up before Ry' forces herself to bend, knowing she nuffi dweet. She also has had a growth sprout– signaling the end of her second trimester.