14| Dawn

Jordanne's POV:

Three days....

It's been three long, antagonizing days.

*Yuh affi deal wid people enuh killa*

Why?

Dealing wid people nahv nuh value to me right now.

...... I've spoken to Mum... and me nod to Surgeon when him ask permission fi things.

Jniia a the only oda living being weh can get a word outa me.

She's right here with me, to my left, while Rhyeem is to my right, fully asleep.

Man can sleep so...

Deh yah fi dem and them only... but mi mind deven present half the time because of the anger.

*Just frass....*

Surgeon say she ago good... she just needs to rest... so he's given her something to rest.

*Induced coma*

Nuh like dah word deh...

Man dem disappoint me yuh f*ck.

I heave a sigh...

Just protect me woman... nuttin more nuttin less. Neva ask dem fi nuttin else ina life really.

The dynamics of the team has never been gang like... 'cause it's not. Always reiterate the fact say them deh yah fi control the hierarchy.

Dem nahfi put on nuh symbolic tattoo...

Dem nahfi call demself nuttin...

Them nahfi run off nuh turf...

Just enforce the laws, oversee the sub Dons and fi dem ting....and protect my family.

Simple...

*F*cking simple*

But is like I created a system where them get lazy.... especially ova the past two years.

So we ago fix that– before me turn friend killa.

My phone alarm goes off, setting off Jniia's tears. I quickly grab her up, rocking her while moving to her teething ring.

*Cya mek she wake the serial sleeper ova yah suh*

Lifting the ring from the sterilizer, I hand it to her to do with it what she will. She calms down and a smile appears on my face.

*Man Fada out suh yute?*

Yuh f*ck...

I look at myself in the mirror. Joggers, T-shirt– weh fully 'spit-up'... decorated with baby food and formula, my house clogs– UGGs....

I chuckle to myself at the sight of me.

*Man only need a bonnet now... dad out*

It's been just them– the babies and I cooped up in the room for days. Now and again I think about what life would be like, as a single fada...

...but mi nuh wah dwell pah that so...

"Jordanne..." comes Sue's voice.

Sigh... shah try gimmi food fi the millionth time... but weh me really need ah a some grades.

*Ahn I can't smoke around them... also not leaving them for a second*

"Me good Mum... yuh force feed me this morning already"

"Yuh can't survive off protein shakes alone Jordanne... be real now... one parent a starve demself and the other o-" she trails off, eyes meeting mine.

Other one wah?