31|Facade

(February 14th)

Ryleigh's POV:

"Girl yuh nuh plan fi stop listen the white song dem?" Trisse bursts into mama's old room, ready to make her daily complaint.

I look at her and laugh, rolling my eyes playfully.

"So I'll dance with your ghost in the living room!! And I'll play the piano alone!!!"🎶 I scream the lyrics to Reneé Rapp's- In the Kitchen.

I turn around, covering the mousse before waltzing to her while singing with the bottle in my hand, using it as my makeshift mic.

"But I'm too scared to delete all our videos, cause it's real once everyone knows!"🎶

"Yah big woman enuh Cee," she laughs, trying to grab the mic, well the mousse bottle from me.

She grabs at me.

Shifting from her reach, I climb onto the bed, continuing my performance at the VMA's, live from Vere, Clarendon.

"Falling in love, no it aint for the weak! So don't try this at home!"🎶

"Girl come down me ready fi go outa lane mouth" she laughs, unable to fight my charisma any longer.

"So me nuh ready girl" I stop singing, looking down at myself.

She looks me up and down before shaking her head. "No... you think u still deh town. Dress better, especially today. Yuh affi come out pon the gyal dem, dem already chat yuh day in-day out"

She serious?

Fi just go watch early morning netball?

"Yuh nuh serious, me nah dress up fi go outa road" I hiss, putting the bottle back on the worn dresser.

I remember this bedroom set being here when I would spend my summers here. Uncle Coop woulda dead before him change nuttin weh Mama used to have in here.

*I miss her*

More than anything. She passed while I was in fourth form, not shocking because of her age but still sudden nonetheless. I've yet to visit her graveside in the backyard without choking up.

Mi granny...

"Put on yuh Hermes nuh Cee... di gyal dem nuh know nuttin 'bout the slippers yuh have on now. It might have name but is either yuh ago ina Crocs, Tory or Hermes dung yah. Yuh really a stress me 'cause yuh can take di mouthing but me hand nimble... me wii fight if dem say nuttin...... and wah do yuh hair, it curly or straight?"

It's damaged.....

Why the gyal a rub me fi go watch two ball throwing?!

I look down at the Birkenstocks on my feet, wiggling my toes. A regular sweat pants and a camisole nuh enough?!

"It's never that serious Trisse. Yuh really wah me over dress fi go eat plum and shout after big woman?"

"Yes!" she snaps.

Murdaaaaaaa... mine me laugh out ina this.

Well alright...

"Okayyyyy mi cousin. Rest you brain and heart. If you say me fi step me ago step. I duh know weh yuh wah me do 'bout me hair though" I cackle out.

"Catch it up and put on supm sensible. Me dah door... nuh badda tek fih evah!" her tone holds the world of annoyance.

Is like she born miserable.

I turn to observe myself. The dresser mirror is filled with pictures of family I know and those I have no clue about. Probably some a deven family the way Mama did love take in pikney.