52| Inevitable

Cont'd

Ryleigh's POV:

I swallow while watching him– trying to study his body language.

*Cry nuh lady*

Me too vex fi dat!

*Wellll*

At this point I start rubbing the paint from my fingers, trying to atleast reduce the coat so the pad can read my prints.

I hear him chuckle but my focus is on rubbing away the clump from my fingers. I snap my head to look at him while trying one last time.

The door clicks open...

*Hallelujah*

Without thinking, I force myself in and for a split second I feel relieved.

The relief is short lived because as soon as mi try lift me next foot fi spin and seal it from the inside, I'm yanked back out into the passage.

*Bwoiii*

He grabs me and slams me into the wall giving me no time to collect whatever coins him just lick outa mi.

"F*ck yah run go?" his voice meet my ears.

I bring my right ankle across the left, squeezing my legs together.

Maybe the car dem did too far?

*Girl...*

"Mah try exercise patience wid you enuh Ry..." he trails off, looking directly at me.

His eyes hold no emotions. He doesn't seem angry, sad, hurt... nuttin, just empty.

"The kids?" I decide to remind him why we're here.

He shakes his head before leaning down into me, resting his chin on my shoulders and his forehead up against the wall.

I try to relax but the grip he has on me isn't allowing me to shift my upper body for an inch.

He stays like this and I know he's battling whatever's jumping around in his mind.

"Nuh wah dem ago back and forth and you don't want to stay next door... so," he speaks, calmly.

He's calm... but not the sinister type of calm...

I like it... I think.

"Still cya just throw dah decision deh pah me..." I barely get out.

"It's a good decision, you just cya see that yet" he brings his face around to mine.

Our eyes meet and I finally see some level of emotion in his.

We stay silent for a few seconds.

Mah try be just as cool and collected as he is right now...

... Like I've been for the entire time up until this morning.

Sigh...

"Yah think 'bout weh yah say?" I speak up, "Keeping them away from me mek sense to you?"

"Ryleigh, them being away from my control a give easy target. Alla unuh as a matter of fact, if mah be real. If people know we're apart and you have the kids majority of the time, you life ago just fulla constant problem and security issues. You want that?"

I...

*Get married to the law maker they said*

It'll be fine, they said...

I'm completely lost for words because I know he's right. Security breaches for me are fine but when dem involved?

Mi nuh want that...