Chapter 102

As soon as Wei Wei came back, she didn't say anything about the situation of the villa, but Felix gave her good news first.

"The thresher artisans you mentioned earlier made it. After testing, they can thresh an acre of wheat in two hours I'm talking about an acre and two thousand catties."

"It's done? They're amazing." Wei Wei was a little surprised, but then regretted: "It would have been better if it had been earlier."

A little earlier, this year's wheat harvest can be used, but unfortunately, now that the wheat harvest has ended, it is a pity to do it at this time.

After the wheat is harvested, it takes a very long time to separate the kernels from the husks. Even though she taught everyone to use flails last year, it took five days for an acre of wheat to husk.

So Wei Wei had already planned to make a thresher, but she had to hide and tuck her when she first arrived last year, so as not to make herself too conspicuous, but this year she has no such scruples.

So back from the capital, Wei Wei assigned the blacksmiths the task of making wheat threshers.

The thresher was invented by Scottish inventor James Merkel and his son Andrew in the 18th century. Although the time was close to the Industrial Revolution, the first thresher was driven by horses, and then it was improved to rely on water conservancy—and steam-powered machines.

Wei Wei turned over a lot of information, made modifications based on the first thresher, and drew an improved horsepower-driven thresher. She didn't believe that with today's technology, it is impossible to make a steam model. Can't do it yet.

The structure of the thresher is very simple. To save the amount of iron, the first thresher made is a wooden shell, with a funnel-like inlet above and two outlets below, one in front of the machine and one in the front. Below, the inside of the thresher is a long roller. A round shaft is installed on one side of the roller, which is connected with the shaft below which is convenient for the horse to pull by a narrow belt. When the horse is connected to the thresher, it runs in place. Automatically starts to tell the operation, the constantly rolling round shaft will form an airflow inside, blowing the wheat husk and straw from the trumpet-like air outlet in front, and the wheat grains will fall from the slide-like exit directly below, complete. Separation of husks and kernels.

With the thresher, the most productive acre of land is now only two hours away, other yields will only be faster.

Of course, this kind of thresher can only thresh, and there is no way to eliminate the wheat bran on the wheat kernels. After all the subsequent wheat kernels are milled by the mill, they still need to be screened by a sieve to obtain pure white fine flour.

However, Wei Wei's thresher has inspired the craftsmen who made it. Felix knows that the craftsmen he has dug back from elsewhere are currently researching methods of sieving surfaces that can be driven by animal or water power, such as making an oversized sieve. , pour the freshly ground flour on top, and let the horse shake the sieve back and forth like a thresher to achieve the effect of automatic stuffing.

However, although it sounds simple, it is not easy for craftsmen who have not learned much, but Felix supports their attempts and even tells them that as long as they can make them, they can do the same thing as a thresher. Living the same is rewarding, and that's probably why the craftsmen are so active.

"It's not too late. Wheat can't be used, but it will be available when the barley is harvested next month."

Barley needs to be hulled just like wheat, and a thresher can also be used. Even rye and oats can be used. It can also be used to thresh rice with a little modification. It can be called a multi-purpose machine.