[Edited] Chapter 11

A day in Sardinsonburg begins with the busyness of the servants.

There are only three masters in Sardinson Castle, but many people live in it, including hundreds of servants. They must complete all preparations before the masters wake up, starting their tasks before dawn.

Qin and Penny don't have to take care of the castle today as per the housekeeper's arrangement. They are now Wei Wei's maids, and Wei Wei will arrange their day.

They didn't have to keep vigil last night and enjoyed a rare good night's sleep. However, unlike Penny, who followed Wei Wei's instructions and went to rest without concern, Qin felt uneasy. She woke Penny up early in the morning, and the two of them went upstairs with toiletries and hot water.

"Qin, isn't it too early? Miss Wei Wei should be resting at this time."

Penny followed Qin with a kettle full of hot water in her arms. She disapproved of being woken up so early. Everyone knew that nobles never got up early unless necessary. Unlike the busy servants, nobles often slept until around ten o'clock. The only exception was the count, who had unfinished official business and got up early. Others might not be seen until noon.

Now, the sun had just risen over the mountain, and even the Count was likely still asleep.

Qin, holding a wooden basin with a clean cotton cloth and soap, had a clean face and hands. From her interaction with Wei Wei yesterday, Qin could tell that the beautiful guest loved cleanliness. So, she made sure Penny and she washed their faces and hands with cold water early in the morning, hoping to make a good impression on Wei Wei.

Penny complained a little about this. Although it was spring, the spring in Sardinson was not warm, especially when the cold water from the well froze before dawn, making their hands freeze.

But hot water was not something they were allowed to use.

"We should have stayed there for the night."

Qin looked back at Penny. To be honest, she and Penny didn't have the best relationship. They just happened to be chosen as Wei Wei's maids together, so Qin had to keep an eye on this rash girl to avoid being implicated by her mistakes.

"Although Miss Wei Wei allows us to rest, if we're not there before she wakes up, the housekeeper can drive us out of the castle without Miss Wei Wei saying anything."

Everyone could see that the Count was smitten with the guest at first sight. Although it was too early to say this definitively, Qin felt that as long as the guest was indeed a noble lady of high status, even from a foreign country, it was very likely that she could become their future Countess Williams.

Judging by Wei Wei's style, no one would doubt her noble identity.

The shrewd Qin knew this was an opportunity. With no other servants around Miss Wei Wei now, if she served her wholeheartedly and gained her trust, she could potentially become the housekeeper of the castle like Mrs. Nancy in the future.

Even if Wei Wei didn't become the next countess, following this distinguished guest could increase her chances of appearing in front of the master and gaining more trust.

Of course, Qin's ambitions were limited to getting a better job and salary. She had no intentions of doing anything unethical to seduce her master.

When Penny heard about the possibility of being kicked out, she shivered.

The work in the castle was hard, but it was much better than life outside. She was well-fed, clothed, and received a good salary every month. Penny, who was almost sold into slavery by her parents, didn't want to leave this place at all.