Chapter 39

During dinner, Felix rarely asked Wei Wei to take a walk after dinner but invited Father Matthew to talk.

The two went to the study, and the servant brought herbal tea. Before Felix had figured out how to speak, Father Matthew said first: "I know what you are worried about, my child."

As an experienced elder, Father Matthew could easily see Felix's emotional changes that he couldn't hide well. At the dinner table, he noticed that Felix was looking at him wrongly.

He spoke calmly, his tone as always.

"I don't plan to mention that foreign lady to the church."

Felix was silent for a moment, then said, "I don't think this guarantee is so convincing?"

"Why not? I don't think you know I'm Eric's godfather."

Felix's eyes widened in surprise at the words of the priest. His brother had a godfather, and even himself, but the priest who baptized him died a long time ago.

The godfather who can become the family heir shows that the relationship between Father Matthew and his father should be very close.

But that didn't make Felix let down his guard, and it wasn't enough to convince him.

"A moderate amount of doubt is good, it keeps you on your toes, but too much doubt just makes you suspicious."

Father Matthew took a sip of herbal tea: "You know that I am very old, and the reason why I took over the church in Sardinson was to avoid the chaos in the church and to spend the rest of the time with my Lord leisurely. Time, so like you, I don't want any trouble to come to the door."

Father Matthew is indeed very old. His skin is full of folds and age spots can be seen everywhere. Although his spirit is still very good and his gait is stable, his sixties are already the age that may attract death at any time.

Matthew likes to be called a priest by everyone, and he rarely talks about his past, so few people know that his background is very big.

Felix also knew when he communicated with his father that Father Matthew used to be a bishop of a diocese and managed a real power in a diocese, but he voluntarily stepped down to become the lead bishop (the protagonist who did not govern the diocese) and came to Sardinson County. He stayed in the chapel for five years, with no intention of returning to the center of power.

So he said boredom was real boredom, not to lie to Felix.

"I can't make you believe my promise, but I will abide by it, not mention Miss Wei Wei to the church, and I will also keep silent about what I hear and see."

The priest smiled kindly and said, "After all, I must spread God's well-being and raise donations. It is the same for me whether it is money or something else that is handed over to me."

So he doesn't care if the corn should be given to him, when, or what, as long as they pay the tithe.

As far as the church is concerned, they prefer gold and silver coins that are easy to transport over food.

He was telling Felix that he was indeed on his side.

As for whether or not to believe it, only time will tell.

After talking about himself, he kindly reminded me: "And I think you should be more worried about the guests coming next than me."

Felix, of course, knew that the coming guests were a nuisance.

Compared with Father Matthew, those talents are more likely to be the source of news.

"I'll take care of it."