Chapter 96

"You have misunderstood the count." Umberto's smile was gentle and cordial when he spoke, with the peculiar sacred temperament of clergy (when fooling people): "Neither I nor His Majesty the Pope intend to interfere in the internal affairs of your country, we and them It's different, I don't like to be too exposed to some things that can easily corrupt people's hearts and make people fall into devils."

such as rights.

It may seem a bit hypocritical to say this, but there were indeed clerics in the church during this period who did not care about power and did not seek pleasure. They walked out of the hustle and bustle and lived a pure and simple life in a monastery far from the hustle and bustle, telling God about their loyalty.

Unlike the monastery that became filthy later, the current monastery is still a truly pure place. The people living in it are all ascetic hermits. They are alone and hardly participate in disputes outside the monastery.

But neither the Pope nor Bishop Umberto is an ascetic, nor are the doves headed by them.

Umberto's so-called difference does not mean that they are truly devoted to their beliefs, just because their hobbies are different from those of Hawks.

Hawks support war because they want a higher power and unique status, while doves are not certain whether they love peace or not, and it's a fact that they don't want to spend their time chasing power and waging war.

The clergy of the church can be said to be the most literate group of people in Europe, from the most common monk to the highest pope. Basic conditions, otherwise what if you don't even understand the Bible?

Many people think that people in the Middle Ages were ignorant and addicted to superstition and that scientific explorers were always persecuted by the church. This was true in the middle and Late Middle Ages, but in the early Middle Ages, before the church was completely broken, they were not interested in scientific exploration. The attitude of the people is not that hostile.

Within the church, the members of the dove group have a completely different attitude from the hawk group regarding the Eastern Church. Most of them have something in common, that is, they love research.

This research includes but is not limited to alchemy. They study alchemy, medicine, astronomy, and everything else that they love. Of course, the most important thing is the study of theology.

It can be said that within the church, many people's research hobbies are heretical behaviors that are explicitly prohibited by the church after hundreds of years.

But in this period, this was just the personal hobby of most clergymen and was not expressly forbidden. There were even small groups within the church based on the same research direction.

Most of the doves come from these small groups, and they love their research more than their power.

But probably because these studies take up a lot of their time, the doves often have little real power within the church, and they are also a minority among high-ranking clergy.

Felix clasped his hands and pressed his chin to ask him, "Then what do you want me to do?"

"Just like what other businessmen want." Umberto said: "Ordinary business cooperation is fine."

The goods in Sardinson County are very tight now. They are in short supply in the Prady Empire, and some of them are sold abroad, they can even sell for more than ten times the price, but unfortunately, the production speed is not as fast as No, Felix currently has no intention of opening overseas markets.

And because of Wei Wei's resistance to the church, and Felix's dislike, their business can cooperate with businessmen and nobles, but the church is never allowed to intervene, and even the bank that they choose when saving money is the one with the least power in the church.