030 - One Bed

OBVIOUSLY, the nightmare did happen.

(Because it's a Vera book and there hasn't been one single OC who didn't have a nightmare)

Because you know... that's what happens when they have to share one bed (and they're in a book.)

Anyway- Thomas still lay on the ground when it happened, Siren's handmade bed covering him. He hadn't really been able to sleep because first of all, the ground wasn't the most comfortable, second of all, he was legit sharing a tent with Siren, and thirdly, he was afraid he would snore and that would cause embarrassment for the rest of his life.

Which ended up with him attempting to take his eyes off sleeping Siren, and those attempts did not work, no matter how many times he told himself he was being a creep.

Siren just look very cute when she slept, okay? Chubbier cheeks, furrowed eyebrows, and her hair spread everywhere around the pillow. In her sleep, she didn't seem as snappy and grumpy and whatever. Just... cute. (Thomas would be dead if he told her that so he kept it to himself)

But all the staring did lead to him immediately noticing her body was starting to get tense and her breaths heaved.

A frown appeared on his face. Siren rolled around a bit, quiet whimpers leaving her mouth.

Crackhead didn't do anything about it in the first place, because he thought she was rather having a... you-know-what-he-means-kind-of-dream than a nightmare.

But when she started to cry out, wrap her hands around her own torso, and the blanket somewhat fell half of the bed, he realized it was a nightmare.

"Please don't kill me," he murmured as he moved closer to the bed. If Siren woke up to him trying to calm her down she would definitely lose her mind- in a bad way.

"Siren?" He crouched next to the bed, but then changed his mind and stood straight up. "Hey." He touched her shaking shoulder.

Why didn't WICKED educate them into calming girls down?!

Siren's breaths were so heavy that sometimes she had to gasp for air while she moved around even more, the cries now close to sounding like sobs.

"Hey, Sire- woah." Thomas instinctively took a step back once her shirt moved up and half of her back was shown.

Her skin was shredded with scars.

Uneven, thick, and small all over her back like someone thought it was a cut board. Some scars had really faded into her skin and were just textured lines, but others were red and seemed like whoever did that to her just peeled her skin off, so it left dents.

Thomas's face paled so fast it almost made him feel sick. He stood stuck to the ground, unable to even move or take his eyes off the girl. The sickness felt suffocating as he imagined what kind of things Siren went through, but it was too horrible to even imagine.

"T-Thomas?" She was awake long enough to realize he had been staring at her. The boy blinked a few times, now so confused and sick but curious about her back.

"Uh." Was all he managed to get out. He nearly slammed his head on the wall the second after he said it. "Are you okay? You seemed to have a nightmare."

She nodded, breathless, and ignored the tears that stung her eyes. Guess who decided to show up in her dream and who he decided to torture this time. It made her want to cry. "I'm fine. Are you? You're... a bit pale, Thomas."