020 - Harsh Consequences

THE second day was worse. Siren had been thinking about a way of escaping this hell hole the whole night. Tried to open the door, look for a weapon, or anything she could use, but the room was as if it was made to present a cell, except it was cozier.

Like, there was furniture, but nothing was in the drawers, on the tables, in the bed... nothing.

Nothing to defend herself with if that Adkins guy wanted a chip she appeared to have.

She stared at the chair in the corner of the room, considering to just smack his head on there, but the chance she would escape after that was small.

"Morning."

She flinched so hard she stumbled back onto the bed. Quickly jumped out of it, and stared at Adkins. He looked the same as the previous day, except now he wore a brown, satin blouse with a neat pair of pants. Same pointy shoes.

"You look healthier already. I assume you slept well?" Before she could even answer his question, she got told to sit down in front of him.

She couldn't tell him about that Safe Haven. He would take all the kids there, and Teresa and the others were on their way to the Haven, so they would be caught too. This was gonna be difficult.

"Ready to tell me what you remember?"

Siren nodded. "Uh... red flashes. A lot of them. That the world was scorched. Guns, trainings, and stimulations..." She summarized. "I think that's pretty much it."

"It is?" His eyebrows flew up. "Interesting. And I found out WICKED has been trying to restore your memories?"

"Mhm." She hummed, fast. Nodded. "What I just said is what they let me remember."

Adkins was quiet for a long time, his eyes piercing into here. She swallowed away the nervousness, but it didn't help. Her palms got clammy, breaths harder to breathe.

"I don't think that's all of it, is it?" He said it in such a tone it almost scared Siren.

"It is." She assured. "I mean, I have details of the guns and stimulations, but there's nothing else I remember."

"Hm." He got up from his couch and started to walk around. Siren froze in her seat, trying to control her breaths. "Have you ever heard of a... Safe Haven, Siren?"

How the hell did he know?

She mentally cursed.
"No, I haven't."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Another silence. Adkins was humming something as he tapped his fingers on furniture, just like he did the day before. "What do you know about WICKED?"

"Not much. I know they are trying to search a cure to the Flare and that they put kids in a Maze, but that's it."

"Is it, really?"

"Yes." She confirmed, this time speaking the truth. She didn't remember knowing anything else about the company. "That's it."

"They said you have stitches on your arm. A cut?"

"Yes."

His voice was behind her. "What's it from?"

Siren stared straight forward. "A dagger." She said. "Why?"

"Have you ever gotten hurt by... what did they call it? A Griever?" He wondered slyly.

"Yes, I have."
Just play along.

"Alright. What happened after you got hurt by it?"

"I healed."

"How fast?" The words sounded snappy now. Impatient.