001 - An Introvert

UNLIKE the fact Siren was the most introverted person in the whole Glade, everyone knew damn well her name was given to her for a reason.

Siren; A woman who is considered to be alluring or fascinating, but also dangerous in some way. One that beguiles men.

She was, as her name betrayed, a fascinating person to spend your day with. Her schedule was so perfect it was almost unbelievable she lived in a field that was surrounded by a giant, moving maze... and boys, ew.

But being the only girl wasn't as tough as Siren first expected it to be. She had learned in the few years of living in the Glade, that she just had to put on a mask to make them stay away.

And now that mask was permanent. It had became a piece of her life. Her personality.

The boys looked up at her. The Greenies looked... down. There was this weird ritual where the older Gladers would scare the Newbies into the fact that Siren was an actual siren and if they would talk to her they would die or something.

Not that the older boys dared to talk to Siren.

No, no. They were actually just as fearful. Siren wasn't someone you just chatted with after a long day, or someone who would voluntarily touch you, let alone walk over to you. For all she knew, only the ones that had been close to her for the longest dared to speak to her.

She was well known for her strength of running in the Maze, but other than that, no one really knew what other interests she has beside running. Some said she only spent time drawing maps and training herself, others said she was actually just a golden retriever.

Neither of that was true.

Siren wasn't what people considered nice. She wasn't mean, either. She was the kind of person that would only let you see everything behind the mask when she got comfortable... which in her situation took longer than two years. Alby could prove that, after his desperate tries to get something other than curse words out of her.

Easier said, she didn't share her feelings.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Her day started like usual, waking up in her small, yet comfortable bed. It was placed in a tiny hut, at the edge of the woods. A foggy morning smell hung in the air, along with a scent of the damp plants.

Siren had no problems with waking up early. By now she could even wake up without setting an alarm, because her biological clock was so used to waking up early. Yet she didn't dare to take the risk and always used the little watch they gave her.

An unwell feeling hit her once she was conscious enough to remember everything from the past days. Alby was their leader now, not Nick. Nick had died trying to go down the Box. Nick was dead, cut in half.

She blinked to get the image of his torso away. The unfocused eyes and chopped off legs. Organs hanging out— yeah, no.

Alby was the leader, Newt the Second-in-command. She had to get used to that, since Alby was way different that Nick. Alby was a dark-skinned, almost bald boy. He always looked clean, unlike the others. But the biggest change was his personality compared to Nick's.

Nick was sweet, careful, and wanted everything sorted out so well he only ended a Gathering when everyone was happy. Alby, in fact, was more of a grumpy, yelling guy. He was nice to Siren, though. He was one of the two, maybe three, people she trusted.