002 - Dinners

⚠️ TW: Mentions of suicide

SILENCE was always the best option, found Siren. No drama you could cause, no secrets you could leak, no stupid comments... just talking whenever someone asked.

Because who would've been interested in her stories anyways?

It wasn't like she didn't talk much because she enjoyed it so much. She liked being alone, but not lonely. She liked telling stories, but only when people really seemed to listen— which is why she only told them when they questioned it.

"Yo!" Reeve, the dark-skinned, slim boy joined the girl at dinner. He wore shorts, like always. Now red ones, with a grey shirt.

Reeve had been in the Glade for about a year. His Afro hair had grown out longer. A flat nose was on his face, a sharp jawline, and nice, brown eyes.

This boy might've been the only boy Siren considered as a friend. "Hi." She greeted before taking a bite of the mashed potatoes Frypan made them.

Food in the Glade wasn't so bad. Frypan had talent and always managed to take care of what he called 'his Gladers' well. Sometimes the food was tastier than other times, but it was never disgusting.

"What's up? Didn't see a Griever?" Reeve looked up from under his eyelashes, a bit of a grin stuck on his face.

"If I would have, I don't think I'd be sitting here this calmly."

He furrowed an eyebrow. "I can't exactly imagine you running around, hysterically yelling like a girl..."

"Hey. Don't say that." Siren shot a raisin at the boy.

"Say what? Imagine you yelling?"

"No." She swallowed away the last bits of her food. "Don't say that girls yell hysterically. You don't know that."

"I'm having a hard time choosing if you're being a feminist right now, or that you're saying that you're not like... other girls."

"A feminist, you idiot." She had the urge to slap him. "You can't know if girls yell hysterically when you've only met me and have never seen me yell. And you can't say that it is hysterical because boys are just the same."

Reeve held up his hands in defense. "Okay. I got it, Ren. No hysterical yells."

Siren only glared sharper at him. Nicknames were not her thing. She didn't know why, but she just didn't like them. That one month of being called a Greenie was the only thing she could live with.

She attempted to eat the rest of her dinner in silence, mostly trying to zone out so she wouldn't hear the heavy chewing of some disgusting boys.

A few seconds later, more company sat at their table. These were specifically the ones that had known Siren from the beginning and were also aware of how she wasn't scary like they told the Greenies (Jeremy didn't dare to look at her).

Except for Chuck, a chubby small boy who might've been the youngest in the Glade. The minute Siren saw him, she felt her heart ache. The kid had those brown curls, a round face, and a smile no one could resist (Gally could, though).

Yet Siren didn't really talk to Chuck, Reeve, and Winston for the rest of the meal. All she could do was listen to their... interesting conversation.