023 - Another Escape

Start from the beginning

"I know a shelter nearby!" Zach yelled, this time covering his mouth. "Will take about twenty minutes with this weather, but we'll be safe!"

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Zach had been right. After a while, they were able to hide under rocks. They were built as if it was made especially to hide under. No sand came through. Almost like a cave, though it wasn't underground.

Four big rocks with one slight opening they could fit through. Marie and Zach came prepared, with backpacks. Probably had packed their stuff after Siren killed Adkins.

Marie made a fire with a match and sticks they brought. It shocked Siren it stayed on, but then she remembered the wind wasn't able to get through the stone.

The fire was small, but warm in the tight space. Siren had lain down next to it, her body almost touching Zach's side and Marie's legs. But for this night, it would be fine.

She exhaled so deeply it relaxed all her muscles. She closed her eyes, reminding herself that for now she had escaped the horror. And wow, she was tired. She dozed off almost immediately, her mouth slightly open and cheeks chubbier than normal.

"Hey, Siren?" Zach tapped her on the shoulder while Marie made sure the fire kept burning. "We have a bag left. Want to use it as a pillow?"

But the girl didn't reply. She had already fallen asleep.

Marie threw the last stick into the fire. "What did he use on her?"

"Syringes and slices."

Her eyes gained something sadder. "Why?"

"She wouldn't answer their questions." He shrugged. Looked down before giving Siren a glance. "Man, she got some mood switches."

"Do I have to remind you that she's a woman? Obviously she got mood switches." Marie rolled her eyes. "I like her."

"I do, too."

"I know."

"Yeah."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

The Gladers. All seven survivors, excluding Siren, walking through the Scorch. She could see Teresa talk to Reeve. Newt and Minho smiling. Winston and Frypan laughing at Thomas.

It was when a car pulled up, they turned silent. A big truck, as if it was from the military. Two men jumped out.

They wore black clothes. A mask covered their faces and hair. Their pants were tight, with millions of pockets. The shirt was a thermo one.

Once they pulled out guns, Thomas moved in front of the rest as fast as he could, holding out his arms while protesting.

Someone else climbed out of the car. An all too familiar man. Adkins.

He whispered something to the masked men, who nodded and immediately, jumped forward. Their hands had tugged Thomas into the car before any of the Glade could do something.

And they drove away again.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════