Chapter 148-FREEDOM FROM HATRED

The Camp

Boruto takes stock of his trio of immediate adversaries. Hashirama is the greatest threat, him being the only other class 7 warrior amongst them. Still, Tao Ma and Tsunade are each a significant threat on their own, both of them class 6 warriors. Fighting all three of them at once will be practically impossible, especially given their hive mind giving them a near perfect rhythm. However, if there is one person who can defy these odds it's him.

Boruto blinks, and when his eyes open, he is shrouded with the green chakra cloak granted to him by the tenseigan, with that aura surrounded by another of grey 'death' energy. This is Boruto's full power with both energy sources.

Boruto raises both his hands, pointing his left at Tsunade, his right at Tao Ma. Suddenly, golden-grey energy bursts from both hands, the golden wheel reincarnation explosion, enhanced by 'death' energy drives back the two warriors. With the time that this buys Boruto he leaps forward, rising slightly off the ground and delivering a powerful flurry of strikes to Hashirama, knocking him back just far enough to give Boruto some breathing room.

"Run!" Boruto yells back to his shinobi allies.

Shikadai and the others run immediately, but the forces of Tao Ma are quickly after them. They're coordination perfect as it has never appeared before, Boruto seeing with his incredible eyesight that their steps occur in unison realises their power now.

Tsunade gets to her feet and ignores Boruto, instead opting to pursue Shikadai and the others, presumably at the behest of the hive mind. Boruto knows that Shikadai will be in survival mode just fighting the others, if Tsunade gets to him he will be unable to survive the onslaught.

Hashirama and Tao Ma run at Boruto in tandem, their strategy obvious from their movements. Boruto will have to dodge Hashirama's attack, the 1st Hokage being his most powerful opponent, but that will leave him vulnerable to Tao Ma. He will not let that happen.

As the duo bear down on him, Boruto draws one of his kunai to his hand. Drawing on one of the many techniques he has developed through the years, he throws the kunai to the right of Hashirama before ricocheting it off an invisible wall of wind and back towards the 1st Hokage. As the kunai bounces Boruto uses his chakra to convert it into a rasengan. Hashirama ducks to the ground to avoid the attack, even though it would be more of a nuisance than a killer, but that was all Boruto needs.

As Tao Ma reaches Boruto ahead of Hashirama, Boruto throws a dummy left-handed punch towards his former ally. Tao Ma falls for it like a fool, at which point Boruto grabs him by the back of the head and throws him into Tsunade's path, putting the two class 6 warriors temporarily out of commission again.

Meanwhile Shikadai keeps the other shinobi ahead of him, agonised by their lack of speed and their inability to use divine energy. He follows them moving backwards, using his 'darkness' divine energy to pick off the quickest of their pursuers one at a time, but every second they get closer and he cannot keep it up for long.

Tsunade and Tao Ma rise, running towards Boruto, designating him too much of a nuisance to leave to chance for now. As they get closer Hashirama trades fists with his student. Boruto holds his ground well against the onslaught of punches, letting as many as he can glide past him or deflecting them, but he can't keep it up. Eventually, Hashirama's volley of strikes breaks through Boruto's guard. The 1st Hokage lands a powerful punch to the gut of his former student, driving the wind from his lungs and a foot up into the air.