Chapter 84 DeadLock

A NEW WORLD – DEADLOCK

The Hidden Leaf Hideout

Minato's continuous teleportation is a great nuisance to any opponent he fights. Previously he was at least limited by his own chakra, but since his discovery of divine energy, his reserves have been virtually unlimited. Continuous, unstoppable and intolerable, the yellow flash has become harder to fight against than ever before. Very few people can fight at such high speed, but his opponent is just such a man, Hatake Kakashi.

Kakashi moves slightly to the side and lowers himself, slightly improving his control of his own centre of gravity. He concentrates his senses and waits for any hint of an incoming attack from his teacher. Right now, all these flashes of gold are merely distractions, smokescreens from the inevitable real attack. Fighting against an opponent of superior speed there is one thing he absolutely cannot allow to lapse, that is his mind.

Minato stops teleporting, coming to a halt some twenty paces before Kakashi. He has observed the body language of his pupil from every angle and knows for certain that any weak attack would be intercepted. If he is going to break through Kakashi's defences, there is only one way to do it. He must attack from the front, striking as hard as he can.

Kakashi watches as his teacher begins to place one foot in front of another. Nothing has changed, even without teleportation Minato is incredibly fast. All he has to do is react in time. His hands rise slightly as if flinching and a dozen 'lightning' kunai appear around him. Kakashi has flicked a switch in his brain, activating a technique he prepared just moments previously. With a click of his fingers the electrocuted weapons spread in each direction.

The 4th Hokage watches the kunai head towards him. Surprised that Kakashi was even able to react in such a short period of time, he mentally praises him. The silver-haired Hokage has come a long way since he joined his team all those years ago. Minato takes two steps quick succession, pushing downward with both feet to flip himself neatly over the incoming sheet of 'lightning'. He's airborne now, and therefore has less control. He decides it's time to introduce the element of randomness. He teleports towards Kakashi, picking a random adjacent position to bamboozle his student.

The second Minato arrives at his destination, a cyan coloured skeletal hand slaps him from the air and down into the ground. 'That was a Susano' he realises as he hits the ground. Kakashi's mind is his most important asset in this battle and he just understood something that had been shut from Minato's mind. There is no randomness in a battle of this speed, there are only snap-decisions, there is only habit.

Upon hitting the ground, the Namikaze clansmen immediately brings one of his marked kunai into his hand and throws it at Kakashi. He may have habits, some of the predictable, but Kakashi also has habits. Minato knows that he has definitely spent more time analysing the habits of his adversary than vice-versa. Kakashi's way of tackling an attack like this is identical to what Obito's was, and that makes it weak.

Kakashi allows the kunai to pass through his head, just according to plan. Minato teleports to his student's rear and opens his hand to prepare a rasengan. 'What worked on Obito will work on you'. Chakra and divine energy begin to flow along his arm towards one hand and the other closes around the kunai. Buzz! His hand immediately clamps onto the kunai with a furious tightness. He finds that for a few excruciating moments he can't let go. 'He electrocuted it'.

Indeed, Kakashi's mind continues to be his most valuable asset. He didn't simply let the kunai pass through him, he used his divine energy to change it.