Chapter 99-THE BATTLE CHANGES

To the North

The two men standing opposite one another have a tremendous reputation. Throughout the history of the pocket world they came from their popularity is virtually unmatched. The man who united the world and the man who saved it. The Hokage who found the Hidden Leaf Village and the one who fulfilled the goal of the village. The two greatest sage mode users to have ever lived in that world. The two people from that world who have accumulated the most strength, surpassing even the god-like beings they fought in the 4th great war.

Looking at one another now, it feels like they have travelled so far. Hashirama has been on a journey to this moment ever since his wife died. He knew in his heart from that very moment that the greatest opposition to his merciless requirements would come from the 7th Hokage. For Naruto this is the accumulation of a journey from the first private conversation he had from Boruto. He does not fight against Hashirama but against the element of 'death' which has plagued his life ever since Boruto first mentioned it.

Despite having talked only hours ago, it feels like years.

"Hello Naruto".

"Hello Hashirama".

"It feels like you and I are fated to battle one another time and time again" Hashirama says, "It seems that you and I have become linked, just as I once was to Madara. It's just like you once were to Sasuke".

"That's right".

The battlefield around them rumbles with small explosions and collisions of energy but it makes little difference, the two men take no notice of it. It doesn't matter what happens elsewhere, all that matters is what happens between the two of them. The tension in the air is thick, Hashirama can feel it clearly as he moves his fingers nervously.

"I wish it were more of a surprise that you returned, but I always suspected Sarada" Hashirama says boastfully, "I couldn't admit it to Boruto though, and when she brought Tsunade I couldn't help but pretend to trust her. She went along with my plan too, it was a good plan, luring you to the south".

"Yeah, it was a good plan alright, but it didn't work".

Hashirama snickers and nods. "I assume she turned on Boruto?"

"Not before getting a few good shots in on me".

"I'm surprised, did she change her mind mid-fight?".

"Something like that".

Hashirama momentarily casts his mind to the south. Boruto and Sarada are likely fighting down there to determine Tsunade's fate at this very moment. That fight could have significant repercussions. If Sarada wins then nothing changes, everything stays as it is at the moment and this battle will determine the outcome of their war. However, if Boruto wins, Tsunade will probably change to their side. If Boruto wins then this victory will certainly be theirs. The 1st Hokage's confidence is immediately boosted upon analysing this, he is confident that his student's ability surpasses Sarada's.

"You have something I don't Uzumaki Naruto, something I so desperately wish I had" Hashirama explains with a sigh, "You have the ability to reach people, your words pierce their very soul. That is why you brought Sasuke back to the village, and why I failed to do the same for Madara".

"You can still come back to the village Hashirama. It's never too late, especially for someone like you".

"I'm afraid your words won't work on me Naruto, I have too many people relying on me".