Chapter 107 The Return

Over a Thousand Years Ago

Everything seemed right in the world for the man known once as little Jonas. He had become the guardian of his village, the saint, the protector, the man that they all looked to. Whenever a threat came to the village, whether it was from another village or from a group of bandits, he would repel them almost single-handedly. He refused to work completely alone though, recognising that it would be best to train those around him, particularly his one closest friend.

After years of protecting his village against all comers, something happened that even he could not foresee with his infinite intelligence and wisdom. He would eventually come to learn that the village was part of a larger world than he imagined possible, a place known as Homeworld. It was after many years that Homeworld was invaded, by people from another dimension.

These beings from another world had strange powers, unusual abilities harnessed in unusual ways. The conventional divine energy that the residents of Homeworld possessed was predictable and easy for them to match in many ways, so the people of this other dimension began to attack.

As the people from the other dimension came, their forces got stronger and stronger. Eventually, not even Furst Jonas could fully repel them. The warriors that he had been training for all those years of peace were finally forced to pull their weight in the defence of the village. They defended the village gallantly against the first wave, but the enemy from the other dimension just kept on coming and coming, there was no stopping them.

It was during one of these assaults that Jonas closest friend died.

Jonas had spent years earning the respect of many, but only two people had ever given him respect purely and honestly. The first was the young woman he met so many years ago, the second was this man. As he died in Jonas' arms, the village's protector wondered what he would feel. It had been so many years of peace and he had a life so devoid of connection that he had never truly experienced loss, and the first moment of loss was upon him. He watched as the light disappeared from his friend's eyes and listened to his soul, wondering what emotions would befall him.

But as Jonas closest friend died, Jonas felt nothing!

It was the same as with the animals Jonas would dissect in his youth. It was the same as hearing about the death of a villager back then or hearing about someone leaving the village. At times when others felt great distress he always felt nothing, he had believed it was because he had no connection but he was wrong. Even that connection could not make him sympathise with these people. He thought that he cared little for the deaths of the animals because they were lower beings than him, he thought humans were above animals, but he was wrong.

He did not feel the animals were below him because he was a human.
He felt that all life was below him, because he was a god!

Jonas stood from his friend's side, leaving him a broken mess and not caring what happened to him. For the first time in the life of Furst Jonas he realised the truth, he was not a man, he was a deity. Humans were insects compared to him, so little was there importance. They are people, he is a god.

After accepting himself as a deity, Jonas stopped threating over what the people of the village thought of him. He decided that respect was not something to be earned but taken. He started to behave more like a dictator, accepting that people should put him above them, that they would always respect and admire him because he is a god.