Chapter 55 HESITATION

The Battlefield

Lara watches from the rear of her force as events unfold around Clyde. He barely even flinches as more captains begin an assault on him, he seems dumfounded, transfixed with what he has just seen. If it weren't for his presence here she would be just the same but right now she is blind to all but him. Nobody would dare to talk her on except him, nobody would even try, that is why she can be so laid back. She can look at him, watch and observe him, learn a few more of his little tendencies and then she can fight.

Clyde dodges the incoming attack of a captain before tripping her and elbowing the back of her neck. His gaze doesn't shift from the duo before him. Mirai has just detonated an explosion that destroyed Elliot's spear. Is something like that even possible for a local, he thought that only Naruto would be capable? Still, he doesn't mind, this is only good news for him. If Mirai is stronger than they have all estimated it is a great relief.

Lara is suddenly struck by something, a sound coming from her side. One more general is confidently floating alongside her, so blasé that she is on the verge of whistling a tune to herself.

"You seem very laid back General Brooks".

"Of course" Brooks answered, placing her hands behind her head as if to prove a point, "This fight is as good as won already. The only place where assistance may be required is against Clyde. That is a privilege I wouldn't want to take from you, I wouldn't dare to interfere".

Brooks realises that Lara let Elliot go into battle with this knowledge. She cared very little about the fate of her deputy and only let him go so that he could add himself to the battle, or die fighting Clyde.

"Do I look as convinced as you?" Lara snorts.

Brooks tilts her head to the side in surprise. It isn't like Lara to be flustered. It's unlike her to even consider the possibility of defeat. It is then she realises that this isn't what is happening, Lara is not afraid, she is having too much fun.

The bald general grabs her child-like counterpart by the collar and with a single mighty swing of her arm, throws into battle.

Brooks hits the ground hard, there will be bruises in the morning. "Wh… why…" she asks as she looks fearfully over her shoulder.

"You need to embrace your killer instinct if you are going to improve Brooks. Go for it, go on, get excited, show me that anticipation. You're going to paint this world in blood together with me".

Brooks recognises the look in Lara's eye, she has seen it in many people before, usually right before they die. That is not to say she forecasts Lara's death, the look usually comes for a different reason. That is the look she sees when people start to lose rational thought and strategic sense, they begin to operate on instinct and grow an intense bloodlust.

Bloodlust. When a solider feels it you should be truly wary of them, you don't know what they might do. Lara's always lusting for blood, she makes it into her own personal currency. In these circumstances when she is so intent on killing Clyde she will be in a heightened state far beyond your average solider. Even for a general, irritating her would be suicide.

"Yes" she finally shouts as she runs into the battlefield.

Lara's gaze has already shifted from Brooks but the small girl doesn't know that. Her eyes shift left and right, desperate to carry out the order she was given as fast as possible.