Chapter 75 CAN LARA STAY

The Circle

Shikadai looks around the table, the circle has never been quite so frantic as this before. Whether it is the wary look on Tobirama's face, the distance Shinki has put between himself and his neighbour, or Naruto's incessant scratching of his arm, nobody seems to be able to keep themselves calm. All because of these newcomers, they really shouldn't even be here. However, fate has conspired against them to make sure nothing can be easy, what else can they do but fight back? That is all they have ever done is it not?

"It seems like we are all here" Shikadai says as Hiruzen arrives and sits in the one remaining vacant chair. "Good, I'm sure you all realise that the situation is very… unusual".

Unusual is one way of putting it. Terrifying is another. The newcomer is enough to scare most members of the circle, how any of the shinobi or captains are keeping their nerve is beyond Shikadai's understanding. As for the villagers, he imagines it must be their ignorance to Lara's true power that is keeping them going. This decision was made by one 7th Hokage, one of the very few who have no reason to be afraid.

"Unusual is an understatement" Kakashi bluntly summarises, "Couldn't you have warned us about this Naruto?".

"I'm sorry Kakashi sensei, I should have sent a clone ahead to inform you of what was going to happen".

Shikadai directs the conversation. "I'm sure you all know by now that Lara and her subordinates have arrived and are setting up camp next to us".

This fact has not escaped the notice of the Hokage nor Clyde's generals.

"We have a representative of Lara's here" Shikadai continues, "This is General Elliot, some of you may remember him as the man who fought Mirai and…".

"I remember him" comes the disgruntled voice of Tsunade, "… he's the man who killed Dan, isn't he?".

"… yes".

The statement and the silence that follows it is the hardest blow that could have been dealt to Naruto. He remembers that day, remembers Dan dying and refusing to battle with Elliot for the sake of the children behind him. He remembers the suffering he caused by being too slow going in that direction and the suffering he caused by being absent in the other. Half of that suffering was caused by Elliot, and that pain is ten times worse for Tsunade. Now, for once, perhaps he cannot take the moral high ground in such a debate.

Tsunade holds the room's attention and makes best use of it. "Let's just get on with this discussion shall we".

"I am not here to apologise" Elliot says.

He and Tsunade share an intense look at one another. Tsunade hates the way he is. That neatly trimmed hair, the pristine uniform that puts everyone else to shame, the perfect posture which he maintains. This man isn't just in the military because of his circumstances, his manor of being is ideal for it. He was born to be a soldier. He has no emotional connection to any of his actions, he just follows orders. People who follow orders without question, the world has no need for people like that.

"I am not here to show remorse for my actions in the past" Elliot continues. "I am just a piece on the chess board and Lara is the player. With that said, I have no malicious intentions either. I simply want for your mightiest warriors to assist Lara and for the rest of us to keep out of the way".