Chapter 119-FATHER AND SON

The Military Academy

Swen looks over the rabid man in front of him. Dai bears his teeth like a crazed dog, lashing out with any limb that he can as he is gripped from behind by the queen of one of the realms. He inspects his son closely, being unusually proactive in doing so. First he looks to the hair, similar colour to his own, a few shades darker, a trait Swen remembers from Dai's mother. Their eyes are different colours, but Swen notes that they are very similar in shape, in fact, their facial structures do mirror one another rather closely, just like their voices.

Swen doubts the facts no longer. Normally, he would trust his own ability to read someone's mind, but this is a special case, he wants to be certain. The physical similarities between them, the hint of his mother's looks, the fact that Nadia worked out Dai was related to him, this puts it all beyond doubt. This man is his son.

"Nadia, you should be careful, he is using 'strength' as his element, even a royal may struggle to hold him, yep."

"Don't worry Swen, I've got him, there's no way he's going to wriggle free."

Swen reminisces about Dai's mother. They met during a very different part of his life, people used to treat him very differently back then. This was before he volunteered for that crazy experiment, before he was made to look younger. He notices that Dai looks a few years older than he does. Sora's first direct student has a similar stature to what the king had during his early twenties. This is an impressive age to have broken through, far more impressive than when Swen managed to do it.

"You never told me that you had a son," Nadia says to her friend.

"I assumed there was no need to tell you. You worked it out on your own anyway, didn't you?"

"I did. I thought if you wanted to talk to me about it you would have done."

"Thank you, Nadia."

Dai stops struggling for a moment at this display. For years he has wondered how he would react when he met his father, he wondered what he would do with this accumulated rage. Seeing Swen thank Nadia for an act of friendship makes it harder to be so unthinking, so animalistic. This brings home the crushing reality of his father's condition, he is a broken man, but he is still a human being.

Dai clenches his fists once again. "Stop calling me your son. My mother is dead! If it weren't' for you that wouldn't have happened."

"If it weren't for your mother's stupidity it wouldn't have happened."

Dai flails angrily in Nadia's grasp, trying desperately to reach out and hit Swen. However, even with 'strength' as his element, overpowering a royal is almost impossible for someone at his level. It would be years before he would be strong enough to fight either Nadia or Swen head-on. This attack was a stupid emotional outburst, but one that he simply couldn't stop.

"I guess you have a right to know," Swen continues, "I killed your mother myself. I lashed out in anger, I felt exactly how you are feeling now, you shouldn't feel that way. Your mother told me that she had killed you. She told me that she had killed you because you were a reminder of me. I killed her because I felt rage, because I had let you down."

"I don't care what you say," Dai growls, "If you hadn't stood by Furst Jonas, she wouldn't have been so afraid of you. You must have known that she was scared of the empire! You must have known what she would do! You could have read her mind, but you killed her instead, you abandoned my mother!"