Episode 80: Unworthy

I stared at Eiya and the rest of my siblings

I stared at Eiya and the rest of my siblings. Eita and Ei-ei hugged our little brother as our mother scattered half of father's ashes into the wind from on top of the cathedral. As a free spirited man, this is how he would've wanted it. The remaining half would be buried near the garden gazebo.

My eyes widened as the wind took up the ashes, forming a bird. The avian flew higher and higher.

I turned around and stared at Alabaster. Tears stained his face. Why was he doing that? Reno said that he and Father had a history, but what exactly was it? Were they friends? Rivals? Or something else?

The bird disintegrated, carried away by the desert winds. Father loved this land despite how arid it was. Sadly, I failed to realize until he was gone. What made me realize it was the number of people who came at the cathedral. People from all classes and walks of life were mourning my father.

I asked a woman why she had come as far as the western frontier to view a dead noble and she said it was because Father wasn't a mere Grand Duke. He was a caring man. It was funny given how coarse he was.

My eyes dropped to the crowd. A memory flashed before my eyes. I was riding on Father's back, barely much older than Eiya. A man begged father for some water. Instead of giving him the water, Dad told him that the best place to build a well is in the north of town. He then gave the man the tea he had bought earlier, saying it'll help with his trip.

Days later, we saw that same man, more full of life than when we had met. He told Father that after some trial and error, with the help of some friends, he managed to dig up some water and build a well. The man and his colleagues had decided to leave it open to the public rather than keep it to themselves.

If it were me, the one from a month ago, I probably would've thrown a cup of spit at the man.

Mom handed me the urn and placed her head against my shoulder.

"It'll be alright, Mom," I said, patting her back.

"Let her cry for now," his Majesty said as he passed me by. "She still has a lot to get out of her system."

Did he think I didn't get that? 

Mom pushed herself up and wiped her tears. "No, I said that I was done crying."

The king turned away. "No need to pretend, Eiko. No one will judge you if you cry some more. At least I won't."

It was strange to hear that from the man who didn't cry at his own wife's funeral. Unlike Miyuki, the so called-ice queen who anyone with a brain could tell was trying to hold back tears as her husband was buried.

"I-I got to be strong," Mom mumbled. Her eyes darted to my younger siblings. "For Eiya and the others."

I sighed. "No need to Mom, they have me to play that role," I said with a slight smile.