Episode 49: A Mother's Sacrifice

*Tabiki*

I sat on my throne, a hand against my face. A tear rolled down my left eye. Father... had he passed away like he'd expected? That man had a death wish. Though, he didn't wish to die at the hands of just anyone. He wished to be killed by his own family. I would've done it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. His best chance was for his unaware grandchildren or great-grandchildren to do it.

"Mom, brother, Dad will see you soon. Sadly, when I pass, that won't be the case for me," I said, staring at the empty crimson chamber. My soul would pass to the reincarnation I had prepared in advance when I died the previous time. Hopefully, he would be able to fulfill my plan to bring down Kuroriku, should I fail.

***

[Decades Ago]

"Are we almost there?" Shin'en said as he glanced out of the window.

I patted my son's head. "No, En, it'll take a little longer to get to your grandfather's place."

En turned to look at me and frowned. "Darn it. I want to play with Ala and Zaki now..."

Mom who sat on my right snickered. "Be patient, Eni. It won't feel as never-ending if you are."

Shin'en sighed. "Okay."

Mom giggled. "We can play in the meantime. Would you like that, Eni?"

En nodded multiple times that he looked like a bobblehead toy.

"Yeah!" En said, grinning.

Mom glanced at me. "Though, seems we have a wall between us."

I lifted up En and sat him down next to Mom. "There you go."

"That was fun," En said, grinning at me.

I smiled slightly. Only because he was lifted. Wasn't so fun for me.

En glanced at Mom. "Wished Mommy were here."

I did too. Sadly, his mom had caught a fever the other day. Traveling was too much for her.

Usually, it was En who suffered from fevers. He inherited his mom's physical condition, meaning he was weak to the heat. It was ill advised using fire.

Though, there were members of the Kasai no Ki, who weren't Yukihito, who had a low tolerance to heat. Their bodies contained more wood mana than fire, but they were predisposed for using flame. As such, their internal temperature was too much for their bodies to take.

"I wish Audrey were here too," Mom said, sighing.

En looked up at her uneasily. "Grandma, is it true that Grandpa Drey is a demon?" 

Mom's mouth quivered. "A demon? Where did you hear that from?"

My son lowered his head. "The kids at school told me that they overheard their parents talking about it. The adults said I was a demon from Grandpa's side." He glanced up at Mom with tearful eyes. "Is that true?"

Grandma brought him close to her and snuggled him. "Dear, you're not a demon. You're a little angel. A cute and cuddly one."

En giggled and hugged Mom back. "Thanks, Grandma!"

"So, what do you want to play, Eni?" Mom asked with her usual radiant smile.

He glanced up at the ceiling of the train. "Let me think..." His eyes sparkled. "I know! I want to play-" Before he could finish, the train shook violently, swaying left and right.

"What's going on?" En asked, hugging Mom tightly.

"I'm not sure, dear. Tabiki, think it's them? The rebels?"