Episode 38: Mother and Son

I slowed down as I neared the ruins that Serra and I had been teleported to when we left Abyssia yesterday

I slowed down as I neared the ruins that Serra and I had been teleported to when we left Abyssia yesterday. Much to my surprise, they weren't on fire like most of our surroundings were. The ruins themselves weren't the source of the portal, so what was keeping the flames at bay?

Right now would've been a nice time to have had Skah or Cio around. They could've redirected or absorbed those flames.

How had Shi managed to defeat that guy all those years ago? Despite having grown braver by the time they fought, Shi he must've been scared still. If only I had been there to have provided some emotional support.

"You've found your bunny, Mommy," a sing-song voice called out. I raised my head and saw Conrad sitting on top of a pillar. A wicked smile dotted his face.

"Itou!" I barked.

He raised his hand to his chin and leaned forward. "Itou? You know that's not the name I go by any more. Even Ifrit is no longer adequate." The demon glanced up and raised a hand toward the red sun. The smoke around us didn't only make the yellow star look red, but our surroundings were dark as if we were in the middle of an eclipse.

"I don't care what you call yourself!" I snapped. "Return my son this instant."

The demon smirked. "Aww? Why are you like that, Mommy." His placed a hand over his chest and stood up. "It's a name dear to my heart! The name you gave me, one befitting of my role."

My eyes widened.

My possessed son flashed me a toothy grin. "Yes, Mommy! It's Calamity! A perfect name for the harbinger of destruction! Soon, this whole world will look like this, alit in flames! The light of the stars will be blotted out! Even the light of the Sky Father won't light up the resulting darkness once I'm done with my rampage."

I growled. "You really think you can win against him? You're a fool!"

He nodded. "Yes, yes, Mommy. I am an idiot. I've always been! No matter what I did, it was never enough! You would rip my homework and tell me to do it again! Unlike my big brother, I was a failure! That's why you locked me up, wasn't it? It wasn't to protect me but to keep people from seeing your imperfect son!"

My head drooped down. "I'm sorry, Conrad," I whispered before charging at him.

Calamity jumped away as I slammed my tail against the pillar, shattering it.

"You say you're sorry, but you're resorting to violence yet again." A single giant black wing emerged from his back. "That's why I can't forgive you, Mommy. You don't deserve it, nor do you deserve mercy!"

I gasped as tendrils reached out of the ground and grasped me.

"I'm going to make this as painful as you made my life!" he yelled as a drop of blood slid down his left eye.

"Con... snap out of it!" I said, struggling against the shadows. They were tight, very much so. The bones of my legs felt on the verge of shattering.