Episode 44: We'll Do It Together

*Koukyuu*

I sighed as we flew southeast. Hopefully, Maki had continued in this direction. If not, we would have issues.

"Are you tired?" Kei said, glancing at me.

I shook my head. "Haven't broken a sweat!"

He looked forward. "Alright, but tell me if you do fell exhausted. 

I smiled. "Will do. How about you? You haven't said a thing in a while."

Kei looked over his shoulder. A pagoda had appeared near the ruins soon after we had split ways with King Osamu. "I'm concerned about Hyosetsu and the others. That tower, it's emitting a strange power. One that feels antithetical to angels."

"Demonic?" I asked. Unlike him, I couldn't sense a thing. Though, Kei could feel things from a distance. Without him, my hope for finding Maki at this point would be minimal.

Brother shook his head. "No. It's hard to describe." He eyed the forest. "At least the fire has died down."

"Hey!" a voice called out. Kiyoshi shot up from the burnt forest. Emon and Lorenzo followed closely behind.

"Why are you two here?" Emon asked. "Weren't you going to meet up with King Osamu and the others?"

"We did. It turned out to be a clone of my dad."

Lorenzo gasped. "So it wasn't the real Majesty?"

"It was a fake, but Dad definitely was the one who sent it," Kei said.

The man lowered his head. "Then, it was him who set the forest on fire after all."

"Dad," Emon said, flying over to him. "Don't let what the king did get you down." He pulled out a cellphone. "Mom said that your village was largely unscathed. See, Mom sent these to me earlier!"

His father smiled slightly as he stared at the image in the cellphone. It showed a tiny town with a couple burned buildings, but everything else looked intact. Though, the sky looked blacker there than where we were.

"That's good, but that doesn't change what King Tabiki's fire could've destroyed it. I have to know if it was sheer carelessness or if the king didn't give it a second thought."

"It's odd to hear a terrorist worry about collateral damage," Hideo said as he flew toward us. "Is it only because you're not the one behind it?"

Did he really have to come here to provoke him? Though, he wasn't there to see what went down in Xeleria when King Osamu did that.

Lorenzo gritted his teeth. He growled and lowered his head. "That's different."

Hideo crossed his arms. "How so?"

The man huffed. "I don't need to explain stuff a child like you."

The Rifle Knight lurched at him, but a red blur rushed at him, stopping him.

"Stop it, Hideo! He's on our side, remember?" Hideaki yelled, holding back his son.

"Is he? He seems overly concerned about what the one who set the forest on fire is up to. Plus, can we really trust him after what his kids did?"

Emon sighed. "My siblings and parents might've messed up, but they aren't bad people."

"You say that are as you're their son," Hideo mumbled as he stopped struggling.

The priest-knight smiled slightly. "Maybe."

"Huh? That's it? That's the comeback you come up with? Weak sauce, dude," Kiyoshi said, shaking his head.