Episode 26: Looking in the Mirror

*Teresa*

I sighed as soon as the others left. Perhaps, I should've gone with them after all. My eyes darted to the imposing palace behind me. Zafir, I didn't get to speak with him much during the Mahoulympics. Part of me was afraid to. I'd allowed myself to think we could be something more than friends. Not that he even saw me as one, to begin with. When Akari asked him who I was in the palace, he'd said I was just an acquaintance. That was worse than being friend zone. At least with the latter, one knew they meant something to the person.

I slapped myself. "Move it, Teresa. Ya got to learn how to make topia powder!"

A lobby of white marble with a water fountain with two angels greeted guests. The two looked just like the angels we had met at the base of the divine ones' mountain. Whoever made it must've met Halim and Aquarina in person or used a reference created by someone who did.

I closed my eyes and tried to get a sense of the layout of the place. It wasn't as massive as the royal palace back home, but it was still impressive in its own right. Made more so by its ancient lineage. Out of the four nations descending from the Seven Archangels, Mizu no Kin was the only one whose original executive building remained in use by its monarchy. Making this the oldest palace in all of Zionia. Surprisingly, its interior and exterior didn't give away its age. Whoever did the renovations did a great job.

I laughed. It was silly of me to have thought a prince, especially an heir, would have eyes for a country bumpkin like me.

"Teresa, don't you think you're hard on yourself?" a child-like voice called out. It was one I hadn't heard since I was a kid.

"So, you finally decide to talk to me, Tadakatsu," I said, grumbling. "For a guardian angel, you haven't done much guarding."

Tadakatsu laughed. "Well, you certainly can take care of yourself. That said, I'm pretty mad at you too. You know how painful it was to endure that demon's acidic smoke? I could've died!"

"Aren't you already dead?" I asked as I walked in the direction I had sensed Zafir.

"What? No! I'm not like your cousin's angel tool. My soul was born with your naginata. That's why, if I die, I'm gone forever, no rebirth."

I bit my lip. "Seriously?"

"Yup! However, I have heard of cases where if one reaches a certain level, rebirth is possible. But that's for ancient weapons. I'm only eighteen!"

"Come to think of it, who made you?"

"Huh? You don't know? It was your dad."

"Eh? If Daddy made you, that means you share the same creator as the five weapons of prophecy. Can you do stuff like Agnes can? Or at least Carlos?"

"N-no... I'm a pretty basic naginata."

I sighed. He really wasn't useful at all.

"Anyway, you should really fix me!"

"Is that why you decided to speak to me?" I asked, staring at the spear tip strapped to my back. It was the only part of Tadaketsu left.

"No. I just wanted to push you to get over what's bothering you. Remember why you're here."

I sighed. "I know, to get to topia powder to help heal my annoying cousin."

"Exactly! Now, get going!"

I grumbled. Why did he even care about Roa?

"It's not so much that I care for that cousin of yours. More so that I wish to see you accomplish your goals for once."