Episode 45: Guarding Family

*Kei*

"We're getting closer," I said as my father's presence grew nearer.

Koukyuu gulped. She was more nervous than she had originally let on.

"Kou, if you can't speak with him, let me do it," I said, flying closer to her.

She shook her head. "No, I didn't come all this way to back out now."

I ruffled her white hair. "No need to force things. Just stay behind me, Hideaki, Lorenzo, and the knights. Maki is right to be doubtful."

She frowned. "Really?"

"Yeah. But like I told Maki, we have to try everything we can. If things do go south, Kiyoshi and I will fight him while the rest of you get away."

"I think you should be the one who gets away, not us Seven Flames," Zaki said with a slight smile. "Like Kiyoshi said, it's our duty to protect you."

Koukyuu smiled. "Thanks."

Hideaki smiled. "Don't mention it. We are family and family has to protect one another."

My sister smiled shyly. "Now I feel a little bad for not having stayed back with Maki."

"He's probably safer than us," I said. "Dad likely doesn't expect us to be after him. Plus, the only one of us he considers a threat is Shin'en. Maki is probably just a pretender in his eyes."

"Poor Maki," Koukyuu said, looking at the ground. She gasped and slowed herself down.

Emon dashed formed and fired a blast of wind. His attack collided with a red beam coming from the forest below. The two exploded, creating a giant fireball and shock wave that brought the surrounding forest down.

Emon bit his lip as he stared at the broken trees. "No..."

"We got bigger issues to worry about!" Kiyoshi said as he flew down. "Come out, Ken!"

A red haired guy ascended from the forest and fired another attack from the riffle in his hands.

"Ken? Why are you attacking us?" Koukyuu asked as Kiyoshi swatted the attack away, sending it flying into the demolished below.

Ken smiled. "The king's ordered me to stop all who get near. Imagine my shock, seeing my fellow knights with an enemy duke."

Hideaki flew ahead of us. "I might be a Kurorikuian duke, but I'm also a Kasai no Ki by blood. The king is my late father's brother."

Ken gasped. "Wait, you're the son of Prince Hideyoshi?"

"Yeah, and I'm his daughter," Zaki said. "Your king knows me."

Ken sighed. "Sorry about that. Thought that my fellow knights had turned coattail after being influenced by the Kurorikuians."

"Don't worry. We aren't here to fight," Hideaki said. "We merely wish to speak to the former king."

"Former? King Tabiki said he's taken the crown once again from his sons. If anything, you should be fighting Kuroriku."

"Now isn't the time," Zaki said. "I detest Kuroriku too, but we have to work together to defeat Abyssia and Cianio!"

Ken turned around. "Cianio is our ally."

I gritted my teeth. "And you're fine teaming up with demons? What is the point of ruling the world if we lose our souls?"

He closed his eyes. "I don't like it either, but this is our best chance. Kasai no Ki is still a fragile nation."

"Teaming up with the demons will cause everyone else to hate us," Koukyuu said, crossing her arms.