Episode 75: Mistake

*Azami*

I sat down and watched as Conrad rushed at his big brother. After cooking his fiancee her food, Serra had taken over from me.

Tetsuya had formed barriers around them and the others who were sparring. Setsuko and Rosa had decided to team up and fight their maternal cousins. The latter's coordination was wanting.

Onami meanwhile taught her younger sister how to transform into a giant tanuki, while Naoru sparred with Nico and Teresa. Tetsuya seemed to be at peace as he maintained the barriers, despite all of the chaos going on within them. None of them seemed to bend either.

"They're still at it?" Juniper said as she walked out of the kitchen. The sun set over the western mountains.

I chuckled. "Yeah, they're pretty determined." My smile faded. "Our enemies likely are too, at least my in-laws."

"My sisters and you sure married into messy families. Makes me glad for once that I'm single."

"You're still single?" I asked, leaning back on the steps.

She crossed her arms. "Yeah, but it's fine. I'm in no rush to marry. Wouldn't even mind staying single for life."

I laughed nervously as I stared at her poker face. "I doubt you actually mean that."

She poked my chest with her index finger. "Oh, what makes you think that?"

"You seem annoyed when saying it. It's fine to keep looking for love."

She rubbed her arms. "I don't know. Seeing what happened to all of you makes me..." My cousin stopped and looked away.

"Scared?"

"A little. Plus, not like I've been able to keep a relationship for more than half a year."

"Wonder if that's why Akari's afraid," Takuya whispered as he appeared behind us.

"Akari?" Juniper asked, looking over her shoulder. She looked ahead. "Why does that name sound familiar..."

I smiled at Taku. "Is this Akari girl someone you like?"

Takuya's face flushed. "Uh, uh... I got to go check on the tea Dossie's making!" He turned around and ran off.

"He's surprisingly shy," Juniper said, giggling. "I'm glad to see that he's finally moving on."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Did he have a bad breakup?"

Juniper stared at her knees. "No. It was worse than that."

"How so?"

"If they had broken up, there would still be a chance to amend things." She shook her head. "I rather not say."

Wait, Conrad apologized to Takuya earlier. H-had Itou hurt the one he loved?

"I see," I said, sighing. 

No wonder Con reacted that way.

"Is there anyone you like, though?"

She put a hand on her chin. "Someone I like, huh?" My cheeks suddenly reddened.

I smirked. "Ah so there is someone!"

Juniper scratched her hand and grumbled. "No. Argh, why did I think of that kid?"

"Kid?"

"A childish guy around Tetsuya's age. He was a snot nosed brat when I first met him. I trained him for some time back when I was working as a tutor. I saw him again when he was around Rosa and Kohri's age. He was one of the few who passed my training camp."