Episode 68: Kitchen Debate

*Yuko*

Yuko stared at her master as he mixed some chopped up carrots, eggs, milk, and butter into a sticky dough.

Yuko jotted down the steps in the tiny notebook in her hands.

"Oh, your handwriting has gotten better," Master said as he looked over my shoulder.

Yuko blushed. "T-thanks. Ximena taught Yuko and Nori during down time."

"During your training? You didn't play?"

Yuko tilted her head and looked up at the bright kitchen lights. It wasn't as big as the one from the palace, but it was still pretty fancy. It was obvious a prince had this place built.

"Yuko doesn't know what to play." Yuko stared at her notebook. "But learning is fun."

Master smiled. "Sometimes. Still, think you should play some games." He sighed. "If only we didn't need to get Agnes fixed in Xeleria. Those carnival games probably would've done you some good."

"Those throwing ones?" Yuko asked, flicking a non existent ball toward the entrance. "They seem easy."

"They do?"

Yuko smiled at Master. "Yeah. Yuko's great at throwing."

Master chuckled. "Oh, yeah. You stabbed an abysmal with your knife from a far during one of our first trips to Abyssia."

Yuko reached into her coat pocket and pulled out a golden pen-like object.

"Yuko needs to get this back to the bunny."

"The bunny? Conrad?"

Yuko nodded. "Yeah. This seems to have been his."

"Right, that angel girl who appeared from it seems to have known him."

Yuko pressed the pen against her chest. "Yuko senses a lot of sadness. But also a hint of joy. I think she's glad to be close to her friend again, but also worried."

"Makes sense."

Yuko smiled at Master. "Yuko's sister is also looking forward to seeing her friend. Hopefully this cake and the stew given the bunny the energy to hop."

Master snorted.

"W-what?" Yuko asked, blushing.

"You're so adorable."

Yuko's face felt tingly as it turned bright red.

Master chuckled more. "What? Don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot?"

"Yuko doesn't mind," Yuko said, fidgeting.

His laughter died down. "Say, how can you understand some expressions?"

Yuko's ears wiggled underneath her hat. "Mean mi- Master's father was fond of them."

He picked up the bowl. "I see. Ya know, ya don't have to stop yourself from calling him 'mean mister'. He might be my father, but that doesn't clear him of his crimes. I still think him being separated from us might be his punishment for what he did to ya."

Yuko lowered her head. "So Master's family is suffering for Yuko, Nori, and big sis's justice? If so, Yuko will forgive him. Yuko doesn't want Master's family to be sad."

Master removed one of his oven mittens and patted Yuko's head. "It's fine."

"Hey, if Rosa sees you two, she's going to be jealous again," Serrano said as he walked over to us.

Master slowly let go of Yuko's head. "I'm just being friendly."

The crown princess who followed behind him narrowed her eyes at Master. "Yeah, right."