Episode 81: Asking Out

I stared at Eiichi as he sparred with his brother

I stared at Eiichi as he sparred with his brother. The Raiyama brothers had been going at it for hours now. Apart from the Grand Duke related stuff and the usual daily stuff, they hadn't stopped training since their father's funeral two weeks ago. They would often wolf down their meals to return to it. Hopefully, they wouldn't get sick.

I took a step forward. Perhaps, I should stop them.

"Don't you think that you've trained enough?" someone else called out. I turned left and saw Suzuki making her way over. She had decided to stay here in Raiyama as the harsh desert environment made for more grueling training. At least she knew when to stop unlike the idiot brothers.

Eiichi glared at her. "You don't seem to care, but then again, what can I expect from someone who betrayed her own clan."

Suzuki narrowed her eyes at him. "Need I remind you that I don't consider the Kuroriku as my clan?" She averted her gaze and hugged her shoulders. "That said, it was a mistake to have sided with them."

Suzuki. I'd heard how her cousin had perished in Abyssia. And while I didn't really know her, it did appear that she regretted her actions.

"Then prove it by recovering your cousin," Eiichi snapped. "His brother has worked tirelessly for that. You should at least match him."

"Eiichi, don't be so harsh on her," Eita said.

Suzuki turned around. "No, I think that your brother is right. I haven't done enough to help in the recovery of Dante."

"Wait!" I yelled, appearing out of my hiding spot. "I think that you do have a point, Suzuki. Eiichi, Eita, you two need to rest! We don't know when the enemy might attack again. If you two are exhausted, then all of this will be for nothing."

Eita lowered his sword. "Yeah, you're right."

Eiichi turned away, annoyed. "If only I could train in Munil some more, then I could grow faster."

I stepped toward him. "Eii, not sure if I told you this or not, but pushing your body to its limits can slow your growth. In physical exercise, the muscles need time to repair and come back better than before. It's the same thing with mana control. Since you're training both, that puts further strain on it."

Eiichi glanced at me and smiled weakly. "Master said the same thing once." He sighed. "Guess that I got no choice but to lay down."

"You laying down? Good luck with that! You have to pass out for that," Eita said.

"Good luck?" I asked.

"Eiichi's always out and about. Usually on dates and such."

A date? Should I ask him out on one?

Eiichi laughed bitterly. "That was back when I didn't take training seriously." He walked over to me and grabbed the sports bag that he had given me for safekeeping. "I wish that I had."