Episode 39: Scorching Fire

"Wait up!" Setsuko yelled as she chased after me

"Wait up!" Setsuko yelled as she chased after me. "Don't go! It's a trap!"

"I know that Itou wishes to kill Mom and me but I can't let my mom face him alone!" I yelled.

Setsuko sighed. "You really won't back down, huh?"

I smiled back as I realized our roles had flipped. "Now you know how I usually feel."

She grumbled as she got closer. "This is different."

How? Rosa told her to stay back and she threw herself into the fire anyway.

Setsuko gasped as we neared the ruins that Mom and I had appeared in when we returned from Abyssia.

"What's wrong?" I asked, glancing back at her.

She furrowed her brow. "Your aunt is here."

I stopped. "Rocio or Plu?"

"The former," Setsuko said with a look of disdain. Did she not like her? Well, my uncle-in-law did just kill Eiji.

"Mom is one of the Pillars, so I don't think my aunt will hurt her."

Setsuko flew ahead of me. "That's not what worries me."

What did?

The two of us stopped as a wall of pink light appeared in front of us. We turned around but another one manifested itself.

It reminded me of the constructs that my uncle Mason made during my trial to succeed him.

Setsuko flew up without even looking at the ground. I gasped as I noticed the walls touched the ground. A floor had even formed. It was a tower of light...

"Told you this was a trap!" Setsuko said, shaking her head.

I glanced around. Where was Itou?

My eyes widened. Wait, was this one of the abilities of the Rabbit Pillar?

"We're almost out!" Setsuko said, speeding toward the top of the tower. Unfortunately, a ceiling of pink light formed, overhead.

"You're caught!" Camio's voice echoed as the scenery shifted. Setsuko and I found ourselves in a gray stone room. It was oddly reminiscent of the castle that Daisaru and Rocio had used. Though, I had only seen it in the recordings that Eiji's drone took.

Camio was nowhere to be seen, though.

Setsuko stared at her angel tool. "It won't transform."

"Huh?" I said.

She looked forward and raised her arms in front of her.

Camio walked out of a dark hallway and grinned.

"Welcome, my prisoners!"

"Are you the one stopping me from using my angel tool?"

He snickered. "Not me. It's more of a thing."