•sixty-six

"Put on your big boy pants and stop being a scaredy cat."

•farkle

I've never seen this many people in Shawn's room before. All his friends, basically his family's, are packed together watching him.

Riley's parents are here along with Auggie and Ava. My parents are here as well.

At the moment Shawn is knocked out from his pain killers that he was given last night. They said he wouldn't be sleeping for too long, but what do they know.

They were wrong about his cancer.

I'll never forget the day he told us about his cancer. It was Christmas and everyone was enjoy meal at the Matthews.

He told everyone he had news and I was sure that he was about to tell everyone that he was getting married to someone. Instead he told everyone the news about his cancer.

"Now don't worry everyone, because I've began getting treatment and I could be back in great shape in no time."

I bet he never thought that he'd be here. Nobody ever thought he would be here.

-

Everyone except for Riley, Lucas and I had left to go back home. Cory forced Maya to go home and get some sleep.

Riley sat down on the couch with me and Lucas was sitting by the window. Shawn began to stir and Lucas moved over to his side.

"Hey Shawn," Lucas mumbled.

Shawn coughed, "Lucas I need to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"You love Maya, right?"

I looked over at Lucas. I figured he loved her, but he had never flat out told me that he loved her.

Without even hesitating he went for it, "Yes."

"Make sure that when I'm gone Maya knows that you love her."

Lucas nodded his head, "Okay."

"I'm going to need you to look out for her. Make sure that she's okay. I know that she think she's some strong independent woman and doesn't need someone to help her, but she really does need your help."

"Okay. I'll make sure that she's always safe."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"I knew I always liked you."

Lucas and Shawn shared a smile.

"And you two," Shawn said, "You guys have been her best friends for years so I expect you to guide her in the right direction."

Riley and I both nodded.

"Make sure that she always make the right choice about her decisions. Put her well being before what she thinks is right at the moment."

-

"Tell Maya you love her," I repeated to Lucas.

After Shawn fell asleep I kept bugging Lucas about telling Maya that he loved her.

"I can't just tell her that I love out of the blue," Lucas said.

"But you love her."

"And?"

"Why can't you just tell her that you love her?"

"Because I don't want her to think that she'll loose me."

"What?"

"She thinks that every time someone loves her they find away to leave her."

"But you're not going to leave her."

-

That moment when you would rather spend time with your cat than people.