Chapter One Hundred and Eleven: Truth Hurts

Adrian was going to be here in two hours to pick me up for the charity ball.

Earlier this week I went shopping with Angie and Lilah to pick out a dress. We settled on a silver dress that was backless and ran all the way down to my feet.

As I put it on, I couldn't help but notice the words engraved on my stomach. It made me feel so defeated. I put it on trying to forget the words on my body.

I left my hair down and paired the dress with some black dressy heels.

As I was dabbing on a bit of perfume, I heard the doorbell.

"Kreacher, can you tell Adrian to wait downstairs, I'll be there in a minute," I yelled.

I think he heard me because the doorbell didn't ring a second time.

I quickly grabbed my purse and walked to the top of the banister.

I couldn't take my eyes off of Adrian as he wore a classic black and white tuxedo. He looked very handsome

His gaze didn't leave as I walked down the steps. He didn't even try to conceal his smile.

"Absolutely breathtaking blossom," he said.

"Thank you, you look great love," I replied.

As soon as I got to the last step, he kissed me on the lips and then held my hand. We walked out the front door to get to the event.

***

When we got there, there was a crowd of photographers at the entrance. I didn't realize how big of an event this was.

Adrian and I headed towards the entrance and I put on the biggest smile I could for the camera. I was trying to hide the fact that I was hospitalized just a week prior.

"This is really weird," Adrian said, agreeing with my thoughts, "Hopefully we don't end up in the Daily Prophet."

"With my luck, we'll end up on the front page," I said.

He giggled.

The event took place in a ballroom. There were tables, a stage, and a huge chandelier.

Adrian and I finally found our table. Thankfully we got to sit next to Ezra, Rosie, Alicia, and Lee.

Unfortunately we got to sit next to Emmy.

"Vera, you look beautiful," Rosie said.

I smiled.

"Thanks Rosie, who's that next to you?" I said teasing Ezra in his penguin suit.

"Shut up V," he said.

I giggled.

"Are you excited? I know you're going to win," Alicia commented.

"Win?"

"Uh yeah. You were nominated for the humanitarian award tonight," Lee said.

"What?" I said a little too loudly.

I looked over to Adrian who was now drinking his glass of champagne.

"You didn't tell me Adrian," I said.

"I didn't think you'd come," he said.

I sighed as I took the glass from Adrian's hand and finished the rest of it.

"Relax V, you should be proud. I know dad is," he said.

I smiled at my brother.

We all waited for the ceremony to start. I began feeling a little bit nervous as Ezra handed me the program.