Chapter One Hundred and Ten: Aftershock

I've been having my dad and uncle visit me in my dreams nonstop.

Dad felt so ashamed that this happened. I don't think he could ever forgive himself for that.

How could he have predicted that this would happen to me? It's not his fault and I try telling him that.

I keep forgetting that my dad died at sixteen. So he still had that teenage angst.

Uncle Sirius was the last one to talk to me in my dreams.

"It's time to wake up," he said, "Please wake up."

That's when I woke up, but it was too bright. I had to keep my eyes closed.

"I know you hate me Vera, but I just had to see if you were okay. You've been through hell, and I'm sorry that I caused some of it. If I could go back in time, I'd take it back... all of it,"

It sounded like George.

He moved my hair away from my forehead.Then I heard a sigh.

"I will always love you Vera, even if we're just friends," he said.

That's when all these familiar feelings came back. The ones I tried to suppress when he hurt me, the ones that I suppress because I'm with Adrian.

I feel like such a fucking idiot because I still love him even after he betrayed my trust.

I finally opened my eyes with tears in my eyes.

The white hospital room was covered in peonies, roses, greeting cards, and balloons.

I saw Adrian at the corner watching over me.

"Vera, are you okay?" Adrian said as he rushed to my bedside when he realized I was awake.

I felt so weak, I couldn't even lift my head up.

"No," I said as he wiped my tears.

My voice was very quiet. It hurt every time I tried to speak up.

Adrian looked like Ezra did. He had dark circles under his eyes, his hair was messy, and he hadn't shaved.

He sighed as he caressed my cheek.

"I'm so sorry that you went through all of this," he began, "I should've looked for you. I could have saved you," he said frustrated.

"No, please don't blame yourself," I said, "I told you not to look for me," I said.

He nodded and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"These past four months have been hell without you. Lilah has been here for the past few months trying to find you with Fred and Roxy. Even George was looking for you," he said.

I nodded.

"When we got the letter, we were so helpless, blossom," he said.

"Where's dad and Ezra?" I asked.

"They've been here for the past three days, I told them to go home and sleep and that I'd let them know when you woke up," he said.

I nodded.

"Maybe in half an hour. I just want to be alone with you for a bit," I said.

He smiled and kissed me again.

"Was there anyone else that came before I woke up?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"It's only been your dad, your brother, Ben, and I," he replied.