Episode 1: The Prodigal Son Returns

*???*

[Kaguya City, Kuroriku]

I stared up at the sky as thick clouds blotted out the sun.

"Seems like a bad omen," I said in a low voice. I placed a hand on my chest and stared at the palace. For a while now, I'd been feeling a sense of dread. "Are you alright, little brother?"

"Why don't you go and find out?" a female's voice echoed in my head.

I smiled. "Right. That's probably the best course of action. Let's go see how my little brother and nieces have been doing."

I emerged from the alleyway. My eyes shifted to something moving in the darkness behind me.

"Come out, demon!" I said, spinning around. My blue bead necklace transformed into a short knife.

"You can sense me?" a green creature with enormous bat-like wings said.

"Of course, I can. I'm part angel."

The creature moved back. "Even those who are part angel struggle to see us these days. They are unable to tap into their angelic strength."

I rubbed the side of my neck. "Right. People have become more materialistic as of late." I used to be one of those people.

The creature receded further into the shadows. "Here, I thought that I could use you."

I snickered. "If you had met me a few years earlier, you probably could've." I leaped into the alley and stabbed the demon in the head with my knife. "Begone, demon. May the divine have mercy on your putrid soul."

The demon's wings and legs twitched as it started to turn into dust. Flakes of shadow and light floated upward. It didn't seem all that bad, but anyone who wished to use another wasn't a great person either.

I lowered my eyes toward the alley floor. That included me; I once turned into a monster. When I died, would I be allowed into heaven if that was the afterlife I chose? Even if I picked reincarnation, would I be reborn as a demon or a ghoul?

I touched my face as I landed back down. It was silly to think that I would even be given the option. Heaven was only for the enlightened.

"Child," the voice from before said. "Don't let your sins weigh you down. Our God is a merciful one. Those who have confessed their sins and look to him will surely be allowed into heaven."

I closed my eyes. Mom used to say that during our religious studies, but I always had a hard time believing in it. Were our sins indeed washed away simply by confessing them and believing in the Sky Father? Weren't acts of repentance needed?

"Your mom was right," a second female voice said. "Sure, acts of kindness are important, but it begins with oneself. If you wish to save as many people as possible, you need to walk the path. I think it's better to walk alongside similar people."

Similar people? The image of my wife and oldest son when he was a baby popped into my head. What were those two experiencing right now?

I chuckled and walked out of the alley once more. "Right, that's why I came to see my little brother."

Brother, I know that you're struggling too. I'm not sure if I can save you, but I'm going to try. After all, you were the only one who never abandoned me during my time of need.

***

[Years Ago]

I dug through a trash can, looking for food to eat, but other than inedible trash, there were only orange and apple peels. It would've been nice if I could at least have found some beer. I need to get some alcohol soon, or I would go crazy.