A showcase with @Maraudin, author of The problem with dying

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

The inspiration came for this novel came from my absolute love of magic and all things supernatural. I had just finished reading Lev Grossman's series The Magicians and fell in love with the characters. I knew I wanted to write something with a lead like Quentin Coldwater

2 what was something you struggled with for your story?

SO much! The hardest part was deciding just how much to reveal in this first book. You want to keep readers interested and turning pages, but you also want to leave some of the bigger mysteries for subsequent novels.

3 what has been the overall response to your story from your readers?

At this point, readers have been very kind and supportive. I had a lot of great advice during the first drafting phase that I have incorporated into the second draft. The book recently won first place in The Gem Awards in the mystery/thriller category--which was a really nice surprise.

4 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I enjoy writing some of the Main Charater's inner dialogue as well as his interactions with his family. My favorite scenes are between him and his love interest. Their interest in each other is still very new and fresh at this point.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series?

The Problem with Dying is the first book in The Practitioner's Series. Right now, I have my sights on completing a trilogy.

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

The biggest thing I hope people take away from this story is that inside each and every person is the propensity for greatness. It doesn't matter where you come from or what people think of you--if you have a good heart and a strong will, you can make things happen.

7 what's a piece of advice you would provide to another writer, when it comes to focusing on their story?

Read. Read books that you think you'll like. Read books that you think you won't. Read the classics, but also read something new. Readers make the best writers.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Torren and I both battle anxiety. I am much farther along in my journey than he is, but we are both nervous people.

9 what's something you believe would draw in new readers?

This book has something for everyone--magic, vampires, college friendships, family stress, jealousy, and new love!

10 do you have any future projects?

Yes! I will be writing Book Two of the Practitioner's Series (not yet titled), and I'm also drafting a new book about a girl who opens a door to a new world through a harp. It is a bit of a twist on Narnia--but with a French flair.