A showcase with @LailaLiliana, author of Distortion

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

It's my Open Novella Contest entry so partially, a prompt. But the idea to turn a prompt about buying and selling memories into a story about dealing with the trauma from domestic violence came from my own personal experience in an abusive relationship as well as my passion for helping other survivors.

 2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

I struggled with the development of my main character's abusive relationship because, due to her having her memories of his abuse wiped from her brain repeatedly, she's essentially living in a loop. It's hard for her as a character to progress, even though the abuse continues to escalate, because she believes each time is the first time

 3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story? 

The part I've enjoyed most so far is working on the second half of the story, when things finally start coming together the way I want them too. I can't wait to post those chapters.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers? 

So far, it's been really good! People seem to empathize with my main character, Ariella, and the emotional reactions have been fun to follow along. As I post the second half of the story, I think I'll really enjoy the comments that come through.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ? 

a stand alone

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

The entire story is about facing your trauma head-on and overcoming it, and also gives an inside look into an abusive relationship. So I hope there will be a little lesson in there about not avoiding/forgetting the struggles you've faced, and instead, using them to make a better life for yourself in the future.

 I also hope that being able to relate to a character in an abusive relationship will help end the stigma that victims of abuse are all "weak" or "stupid." It's something I see a lot in general, but especially in the comments section of Wattpad books.

 7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story? 

First, I'd recommend googling examples of plotting outlines or beat sheets. Looking at those really helps me pace my stories and plan out pivotal moments. And then, just write! Write the story you want to read. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time, that's what second drafts are for. Just write it.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself? 

I would say Ariella does. Aside from both of us experiencing a bad relationship, she has her moments where she's fun and flirty. She also has some fight in her that I'm really excited to show more of as I continue posting new chapters.

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

I think it's an interesting take on an abusive relationship. First, it's the main plotline. It's not a side-plot for a man to rescue her from. It's not a backstory to give her depth. It's her story, right now. It's also not the typical progression of a toxic relationship due to her memories being altered each time.

 10 do you have any future projects?

Distortion is still being posted, so it's my newest story at the moment. I will be working on a story called Opalescent in the future, which will be set in a world where soulmates actually exist. The main character will have to choose between the woman he is destined to be with and the woman he loved before fate got in the way.

I also have plans for a story called Politico, which is about a woman married to an increasingly corrupt politician and the decisions she's forced to make when he takes his power too far. 

And then Heinous is a third story I've gone back and forth about writing. It's about a woman who is attacked and raped by her ex boyfriend, and her navigating the justice system to get him punished for his crimes against her while trying to move on with her life outside of the courtroom. 

I also plan to re-write my series, Nefarious, which is a mafia romance that follows three brothers born into a mafia family