A showcase with @Hubrism, author of: Edge of romance

1 what inspired the idea of your story? 

A  few years ago I had in mind the idea of a girl who worked in the fashion industry despite not looking like someone who would fit in it, and who had a sort of unrequited love. I wrote a first draft in 2012 that was so terrible I barely had finished it when I scrapped it. Then in 2018 when I started writing WE THE YOUNG and Addy popped up in my head I knew that she was the girl whose story would eventually become EDGE OF ROMANCE.

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

One of the key aspects of the book is the terrible relationship between Addy and her parents. (SPOILER) A major plot twist in the book is when towards the end, Addy discovers that the father who cut her off from the family is dying, and somehow I was writing this just a few weeks before my own dad started to decline until he passed away. It was beyond hard to write this part, since I was pouring a lot of what I was going through in real time into the page. (END SPOILER)

 3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

The moments when Addy and Miguel pushed away form each other, for one reason or another, but especially when they pulled each other together again. *chefs kiss*

 4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers? 

It has been so warm and emotional. So many people felt represented in Addy's struggles. So many people's hearts were touched by the points in the previous question. And even more people wanted to snatch Miguel away from Addy! I've received quite a few requests from readers for me to write them their own boyfriend.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It can be read as a standalone but has a certain continuity with my previous novels, mainly because of the many cameos that characters from almost all my books make in the story.

 6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story? 

We all have the capacity to love and we're all deserving of it. At the end of the day, it finds a way.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story? 

Find what the core of your story is and build around it. Not only must there be tension between the characters and their circumstances, but the characters must be striving for something--and that something is the core of the story.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself? 

Addy shares a lot of my vulnerabilities about her body and her place in the world. And also we have the same favorite color! (Who knows which one?)

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

The different timelines in EDGE OF ROMANCE are interesting, because they both hint at things that happen in the other between Addy and Miguel. It makes the reader wonder if their love will be successful after all and keeps them reading to find out. In other words, a story's unique proposition helps to entice new readers into giving your story a chance

10 Do you have any future projects?

Yes! I'm two chapters away from finishing my CampNaNoWriMo, which is a NA Romance novel I hope to start posting in June 2020. I'm so excited about it and the rollercoaster of a premise it is *facepalm*  Please be on the lookout for it!