A showcase with @arkynio, author of the marked ones

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

The Marked Ones was originally an idea for a stage play, but once I got the idea on paper, I realized that it needed to be more detailed than a play would allow, and so it became my first full length novel. It was heavily inspired by me getting my first couple of tattoos while still in high school, as well as the feeling of having no control over my life, which was a constant of my childhood and growing up in an abusive household.

 2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

I struggled a lot with staying consistent with smaller details, since it took me five years to actually finish the novel.

 3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I enjoyed switching perspectives and getting to write from the different characters viewpoints.

 4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

Overall, people have given me a lot of positive feedback, saying that they were hooked by the plot and story telling. One person gave me the compliment of comparing my novel to "The Hunger Games"

 5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

As of now, it's going to be the first part of a trilogy, but it could be a stand alone if I decide not to proceed with the other books in the series

 6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

You are in control of your life. No one and nothing can determine your fate. This is your life, and you get to make your own path. If a door closes, open it again-that's how doors work, after all.

 7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story? 

Be confident in your story, but also be willing to listen to advice or criticism.

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Yes. Avalon and I share parents that could care less about us, unless it's for their own personal gain. We are stubborn and completely blind to how others see us. But, we both are willing to do whatever necessary to protect the people we love.

 9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

The strong heroine protagonist, fast-paced plot, and twists you won't see coming make my novel a great choice for leisure reading.

 10 do you have any future projects?

I do! Other than finishing the "The Marked Ones" Trilogy, I have another novel in the planning stages, and I'm working on my first novella for Wattpad's Open Novella Contest!